A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A8 Transmission in limp mode...opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 08:04 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A8 Transmission in limp mode...opinions?

x/post from Rocky Mountain region. Also looking for anyone with a Vag-Com near Boulder, CO

New Transmission filter and fluid did not solve problem. All gears on the dash are highlighted. I'm wondering if there is a way to reset the TCU or ECU. Perhaps a re-metering of the transmission inputs would revive it out of limp mode. Currently the reverse gear seems normal, torque-y and fine..but the drive gears feel under powered. I'm assuming this is from the limp-mode state it is in.

Prior to this I was getting a slight shutter at around 2k RPMs in 2nd and 3rd while in Drive. Felt like almost a seeking for overdrive when going a steady speed. It worked fine when accelerating or in 4th when the cruise idle was above 3k RPMs. Also at idle it was a bit rough. I attributed that to the engine though.

Someone suggested that perhaps the Torque Converter needed to be flushed out. Any opinions on this? I've removed a transmission from an A4 before. I'm debating on lifting this A8 up and taking it out to have a look. But my concern is if i remove it and can't find the problem myself then would a shop be able to diagnose the problem with it removed from the vehicle. And would this save much money? What do you guys think?

Any information or opinion is greatly appreciated,
-Chris
Old 07-12-2011, 07:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If it goes into limp mode every time you restart it then you need a rebuilt trans. The torque converter will not put it in limp, just throw a code.
Old 07-13-2011, 01:12 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Yay...may be just sensors or electrical

Ok I went to wolfsburg autowerks in Boulder, Co (highly recommend them). Mark there connected his VAG-COM and got some codes for me. Very strange codes but this is what we got.

17090 - transmission range sensor
Sensor # F125
Status - Implausible Signal

17095 - transmission fluid temp sensor
Sensor # G93 - Implausible Signal

I've tried to find some information on the first one so far. Looks like it's a harness inside the transmission. Located where the transmission filter is. I'm having difficulty hunting down an actual OEM part number. Or a diagram of what exactly I'm looking for. Any...and i mean any info would be greatly appreciated. Mainly I just need a part number and some pointer of where they are located and I think I can get this beauty stably back on the road.

Mark cleared my codes and the trans is out of limp mode, but for how long, I don't know. It's driving but with the same previous symptoms.
Old 07-13-2011, 01:31 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

One thing I should add is, I removed the TCU while trying to diagnose the problem. I also changed the fluid before I had this code cleared. Incase that's important.
Old 12-10-2011, 04:20 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hi.. did you ever get the transmission working ok? let me know..
Old 12-10-2011, 09:30 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Limpy

Sounds like a kaput trans. Just had one done, appx. $4000. So Sorry.
Old 12-20-2011, 05:47 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

A transmission rebuild is the rite of passage for D2 owners. Mine is in the shop now. $4500
Old 01-05-2021, 12:47 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Solution??

this was more than nine years ago! Did you ever figure it out? There’s never a solution with these old threads. It’s like all the people commenting disappear forever! What was the prognosis doc? You still around??

Originally Posted by crivera82
One thing I should add is, I removed the TCU while trying to diagnose the problem. I also changed the fluid before I had this code cleared. Incase that's important.
Old 01-05-2021, 04:47 AM
Tech Guru

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Lee Rob
this was more than nine years ago! Did you ever figure it out? There’s never a solution with these old threads. It’s like all the people commenting disappear forever! What was the prognosis doc? You still around??
With a D2, it's almost always a transmission rebuild that is required. Either the forward clutch basket of the F clutch fails. Given that a few people (including Tozo) suggested that a rebuild is needed, I'd suspect that was the case.
Old 01-05-2021, 06:47 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 87 Likes on 77 Posts

Often the car with a blown trans is scrap or sold cheap "mechanic's special" and the user does not bother to come back and close out the thread. Unfortunate but understandable.
You can look for newer posts from the user via the link in their username under "Statistics" to see if they came back after the trans issue.

If a trans has not blown up yet, you can often avoid that with the TransGo valve and possibly a lower valve body replacement, this prevents the pressure spikes that cause oddness, rough downshifts, etc. and eventually something broken or a seal blown out. Search this forum for more detail.

-Joel.