A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A8 Turbo sound

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2004, 04:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A8 Turbo sound

I have an A8 that starts with a whine when it is cold, the colder it gets the louder it gets. It dissappears after 3 minutes or so. I disconnected the belt to see if was pump generated and changed the tranny fluid without success. Any ideas?
Old 05-03-2004, 07:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Default If you didn't change the tranny filter with the fluid, that's the likely culprit.....

The filter gets clogged and when the transmission fluid is cold and thick the pressure drop across the filter is large enough to cause cavitation in the tranny pump, which is definately a bad thing. Your symptoms seem consistant with this problem.
Old 05-03-2004, 08:23 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Could be your water pump...
Old 05-03-2004, 02:14 PM

Default Re: A8 Turbo sound

I have the same problem ... only the dealer cannot reproduce it.

This is driving me nuts as they had the car over a week recently. And of course this morning the sound is back again.

I'd really like to get this fixed, but by the time I drive to the dealer in the morning the sound is gone. And like I said, for whatever reason they could not duplicate it. Must be the gremlins in my driveway.
Old 05-03-2004, 03:06 PM

Default Re: A8 Turbo sound

I have the same exact problem. The tranny fluid was changed by previous owner less than a year ago (can't definitively prove that the filter was changed or not with it), had the water pump and TB changed last week... still same sound. My mechanic is baffled too, but believes the sound is emenating somewhere within the tranny. Think it's worthwhile to do the fluid change again and ensure that the filter was changed properly?
Old 05-03-2004, 04:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

short answer..... YES!!!!
Old 05-03-2004, 04:56 PM

What year and how many miles?
Old 05-03-2004, 05:05 PM

Default Oh no, not the *TRANSMISSION*

LOL,

you guys are scaring the crap out of me. I've got a problem I can't demonstrate to the dealer. The dealer obviously won't fix it unless they can see or hear it. There is potential to really damage the transmission if it isn't fixed. And if I go ahead and have somebody service the transmission (including filter) I can just imagine the dealer saying I screwed it up, since it is a lifetime fluid system.

Damn, I sound like my wife now ... anybody else got something to worry about?
Old 05-03-2004, 05:33 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Service the transmission.

What the dealer doesn't know, won't hurt him.

Take the Audipages procedure to a trustworthy indie shop, and discuss it thoroughly.
Old 05-03-2004, 05:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default The only way to demonstrate it to the Dealer is to leave it overnight...

at the dealer on the next cold night (if there is another) and go back early in the morning and start it for them. If they start it without your presence, it is easy for them to say "we didn't hear anything". I don't trust stealers one whit, and I wouldn't trust them to be honest about this either. It would be well worth your time to get this documented at the dealer before the warranty expires. You are correct about having an independent do the work- it simply gives Audi an easy "out".

Quick Reply: A8 Turbo sound