A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A8L Questions; Nav., Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2000, 12:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A8L Questions; Nav., Transmission

I've had my car for about two months. I have some questions the dealer seems to not have complete info. on. 1) Does anyone know if the navigation system can display a compass only? This would be useful during those times when I don't have it actively engaged, but need that extra sense of direction (not that we men would ever acknowledge we need it!). 2) Is there a way to put in an address without going through the city first? I have run into several situations where the mapping software doesn't agree with my city choice, or list the street under the city, or where the street is in an unincorporated area. 3) On the transmission. It seems to be starting in second gear frequently - the dealer confirmed this, but if I slip it into Tiptronic when it is acting exceptionally sluggish off the line, it indicates first gear, then shifts and indicates 2nd! This is really puzzling, and I'd like whatever feedback others of you could offer. Thanks.
Old 09-17-2000, 07:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: A8L Questions; Nav., Transmission

I'm running into some of the same problems you noted. For example:

1. The navigation system does not have the address of my house...yet it's about 13 years old!

2. The sluggish transmission problem is becoming extremely frustrating. I'm encountering exactly the same symptoms you've noted. Sluggishness, because the car is starting out in second gear. Slipping into the manual Tiptronic doesn't always fix the problem, either.

3. And now a new one: the radio station controls on the steering wheel frequently do not work. Pressing on the button may change the station the first few times, then on a completely random basis will refuse to make the change. Hmmm...didn't have this problem with my BMW...even after three years, and the Audi is not even a month old...

Audi-X2
'00 A6 4.2 black/vanilla
'01 A8L black/black
Old 09-20-2000, 05:14 PM

Thanks for the follow up. I just got back from picking my car up after it's initial (5k) service. The service rep (who is a fellow motor head) said that the transmission is programmed to start in 2nd unless prompted (tromping on the go-pedal, or driving patterns that suggest first have been repeated, getting it into the transmission memory...) for mileage considerations. The weird part of this is that the last several times it has happened (one of which was pulling into Atlanta traffic under some duress), I slipped into Tiptronic, and it was indicating 1st! This is a puzzle, now. He didn't have any input for that one. When it hooks up in first, it comes off the line quite well. I just want consistency, which he suggests is coming in the form of a program from APB, shortly. I just hope that's all it is.
I think there is more to the nav system than meets the eye, or we know about from the manual, but there isn't (apparently) a lot of intelligence on the subject out there. I even went to Bosch's site - no help. I'll let you know if I get any useful info...
My steering wheel controls are fine.
Thanks again -
Tim Habeck
Old 12-14-2000, 02:16 PM

It basically never uses first unless you nail it to the floor or go triptronic and both shift down to first and use a heavy ( but not kick down foot) first gear is evry short. Even in triptronic, it will upshift to protect from overrevving.