A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To all that are considering 2004 A8L

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2003, 08:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To all that are considering 2004 A8L

I bought mine last Saturday and already put close to 1000 miles on my baby (I love driving this car).

On earlier posts, I stated some of the issues I'm currently having with my car. To me, it's absolutely no big deal since having owned 3 BMW's in the last 3 years ( I know what it's like going in over and over for various problems). Considering this is first year car, I honestly think my car is very solid. The steering issue I have, I think it could be the fact that the car perhaps sat in the rain, etc too long without being moved and something may have gotten rusted in the control arm or something. As far as the AC unit no cooling too fast, well, we've been having severe HOT weather here in the DC area and could be that it's just so hot it takes a while to cool (I'm actually kidding myself on this comment here since our Lexus LX470 cools right away).

In the grand scheme of things, I honestly expect 6 to 10 visits to the dealer over the next 3 years since this is after all a German car (no offense, but all my BMW's went in for something - our Lexus is rock solid!)

I will be more than happy to try to answer any questions regarding my 2004 A8L.

Good luck to everyone that is considering a purchase/lease, you will enjoy this car - trust me on this one.
Old 07-04-2003, 08:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: To all that are considering 2004 A8L

Thanks for the post! I, too, understand about first model jitters. But lately, I am used to faultless Acura RL`s. You cannot beat the Japanese for dependability and eventual boredom(only my opinion). I would NEVER expect to get bored in the Audi.

greenie
Old 07-04-2003, 08:49 AM

Default I totally understand where you're coming from...

Prior to owning any BMW's, I was a Jap-Car fanatic due to the reliability. However, you must admit the "fun factor" is almost non existent in any Japanese cars that are in the $30K plus range (sedans that is). Having owned a BMW 540i SP and test driven the GS430...there was a huge difference to me. Although power and handling was almost same but the steering feedback and excitement of the ability to throw the car around just wasn't there for me in the Lexus. We did, however, go from a BMW X5 4.4 with SP to a Lexus LX470 because we wanted a "real SUV". My other choice was the new Range Rover but it doesn't have 3rd Row seating plus the LX is the wife's and my baby will be in the SUV more than in the Audi so reliability was a MUST for me on any car my wife drives on a daily basis and Lexus NAVI is IMO second to none.
I think you will notice a world of difference in handling, etc coming from a FWD to AWD car. Again, if you can accept going to the dealer here and there than the A8, or any German Cars will absolutely "MOVE" you. I think you will learn that once you buy a German car, it is next to impossible to go back to a Jap car.
Old 07-04-2003, 11:43 AM

Default Re: I totally understand where you're coming from...

I have had mostly German cars. I have also had 2 SC430's. Boasically good trouble free cars, but even though it is a much smaller-sportier convertible, the A8 handles better. It is also a lot more fun to drive.

The other german cars were nice but all had their issues.

The MB-many different problems-The Sl was fairly good, but cost over 90k

The Porsche's all were very uncomfortable, and always had noises and rattles in them.

The BMW's, well as Ive stated the 745 was the worst car I have ever owned. The 5 and 3 series cars weren't bad.

I like you feel overall the Audi will be a good car. My wife is almost definetely ordering the 3.0 allwheel drive convertible next week for September delivery. My dealer is great and tha really helps. I have no doubt they wil take care of any issues I have.
Old 07-04-2003, 08:13 PM

Default The air conditioner in my A6 sucks. Disappointing to learn that Audi hasn't fixed that yet.

The air conditioning in the Acura TL my A6 replaced was *way* better. I could set it to 66 degrees on a 95 degree day and it would actually get there, and reasonably quickly. The Audi can't even drop the temperature below 70 degrees on a similar day
Old 07-05-2003, 05:20 AM

Default Same with BMW...not just Audi IMO...our 1st 540 took a

while to cool, our 2nd 540 was much better. The X5 we had took forever to cool. I too owned a 2000 TL for about 6 months or so and I agree that the A/C was much better than the German cars I've owned, however, my 2000 A6 A/C was actually very good!