A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alloys for A8

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2004, 10:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alloys for A8

I consider purchasing new alloys, which I will use during the wintertime with wintertyres. These are not original Audi alloys (too expensive), but from the brand Rondell (which is German).

Can any one of you advise whether these alloys will fit well under my A8 3.7 Quattro (2000), in particular with regard to the offset value (35mm) of these alloys (in The Netherlands called ET-value).

Specifics of the alloys:
8Jx17
5-112
Offset: 35mm

Many thanks and regards,

Berrie
Old 10-01-2004, 10:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts
Default Those will fit

Everything is the same as the OEM 17" wheel except the offset.

The offset of the OEM 17x8 wheel is et48, your new wheel is et35, which will put it out 13 mm further than the stock wheels.

It won't hurt anything, but in the winter, it might throw a bunch of stuff up on the outside of the car more so than a stock offset would.

But it looks much better with the wheel sticking out a little further!

pw
Old 10-01-2004, 11:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Guys on this forum will likely know, but otherwise Tirerack.com is a huge resource, they also answer

questions in the tire/wheel forum on AW
Old 10-01-2004, 05:27 PM

Default Make sure they're hubcentric!

They need to fit snugly on the hub, if not they're only carried by the bolts. Not good... ;-)
Old 10-02-2004, 04:20 AM

Default Re: Make sure they're hubcentric!

Wat betekent hubcentric Sven?? Ik snap niet wat je bedoelt met "They need to fit snugly on the hub". Zou je dat nog willen uitleggen?

thanx
Old 10-02-2004, 09:48 PM

Default Op de naaf gecentreerd. (Dutch text)

Als de wielen OE zijn, of aftermarket maar op maat geleverd worden, is niet alleen de steek ofwel het patroon van de wielbouten op maat (5x112 in dit geval), maar past het middelste gat van de velg precies op de naaf.

De bouten zijn vrij voor de hand liggend, anders krijg je het wiel er gewoon niet op. De naaf (of beter het gat in de velg wat er overheen gaat) valt niet direct op, als het maar groot genoeg is valt het er overheen.

Als dit 'gat' te ruim is (te klein past het weer niet) krijg je je wiel er wel op, maar dan 'hangt' het aan de bouten. Niet erg veilig, en je krijgt je wielen nooit goed gebalanceerd. Laatst was er hier nog een post over.

Sommige (goedkope) leveranciers lichten hier nog wel eens de hand mee, en zullen misschien zelfs een verhaal ophangen dat het 'onbelangrijk' is, wat het dus niet is. Het is wel degelijk belangrijk.

De betere wielen worden gewoon op maat gemaakt, andere leveren er soms een 'adapter' bij, vaak een plastic ring. óók niet ideaal zoals je begrijpt. Degene die hier postte over een hinderlijke onbalans die er niet uit te krijgen was had dus wielen met plastic adapters, zo bleek.

Zie ook: <a href="http://www.miata.net/garage/hubcentric.html">Hubcentric</a>

Een ander niet onbelangrijk punt is het gewicht. Je wilt geen te zware wielen, zeker niet onder een aluminium A8 waar Audi alles aan gewichtsbesparing heeft gedaan... ;-)

Maar zonder dollen, het gaat om 'onafgeveerd gewicht', dwz gewicht wat aan de vering 'hangt', ipv er door 'gedragen' wordt zoals de rest van de auto. Juist daar is zo weinig mogelijk gewicht van belang. Het hele idee van LM velgen is gewichtsbesparing, omdat dit het weggedrag ten goede komt. Helaas wordt dat soms door de mode of goedkope materialen wel eens teniet gedaan.

Er staat hier op AW een artikel over met een lijst gewichten. In de 'Tech' sectie, onder "wheelweights". En <a href="http://www.wheelweights.net/"> hier</a> staat er ook eea over.

Succes!
Old 10-03-2004, 05:42 AM

Default Re: Thanks Sven, but how to find out?

Thanks Sven, but before ordering these alloys, how can I find out whether these wheels are hubcentric for my Audi A8 3.7 Quattro (2000)?? What information do you need to find out, and where can you find it? The Rondell website includes a picture of the Design 52 model (einteilig), www.rondell.de. As you'll see, they are very Audi like, and I'd assume they are regularly put on A4s or A6s.
Old 10-03-2004, 10:34 AM

Default Best just to ask them...

They say they have special wheels for Audi or BMW f.i., so that may be a good sign. Usually the Germans are pretty thorough, so I suppose they will make vehicle specific wheels. But ask them about this, as well as the weight (they'll know you're serious).

BTW, 52 looks good, and I think the 26 would suit the 8 as well.

Also keep an eye at <a href="www.coendonkers.nl">www.coendonkers.nl</a> they regularly have used OEM wheels.
Old 10-03-2004, 01:48 PM

Default Re: Best just to ask them...

Thanks again Sven. I'd now think they are hubcentric, as Rondell states that these wheels are specifically made for Audi and VW. All Audi's and VW's have a centerbore of 57,1 mm, so I trust these wheels have exactly the same centerbore :-)).

btw: your car is very nice and has the rights options. I'll see it some time, at a meeting of www.audiforum.nl perhaps!

cheers