A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another D2 Transmission to talk about!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 06:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

hello, red flag, you changed the filter now its worse. Try getting a genuine filter. Its better than throwing a transmission or a converter at it. Other than that only other thing going to cause a whine, are internal damage like thrust washers or bearings.
Old 03-05-2012, 07:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Prospeeder
hello, red flag, you changed the filter now its worse. Try getting a genuine filter. Its better than throwing a transmission or a converter at it. Other than that only other thing going to cause a whine, are internal damage like thrust washers or bearings.
Have personally never heard of a problem with an aftermarket o-ring (filter to valve body) problem...only cases of forgetting it altogether, because one didn't come with the new filter...shame on the supplier AND "mechanic"...no excuse!

The main problem with some aftermarket filters is the length of the pick-up tube...if only slightly too long (stock is just 7mm of bottom of pan...arguably too close already), it can press against the bottom of the pan, being unable to suck in enough atf and put severe strain (noise) on the atf pump, trying too hard to suck in fluid...and cause immediate operating problems.

Even a stock filter's clearance can get too close to the pan when thing warm up...as Tozo has pointed out to me, some atf pans can actually bend upward (closer to pick up) under heating...plus, one small impact to the pan can close the gap, too...I've seen photographic examples of this.

Audi was overly cautious with the length of the tube, to insure atf flow if the fluid was WAY too low...I can only assume this the reason for the extended tube. But the entire filter is totally immersed in atf, even while running, if properly filled to correct level.
Some (all?) BMW filters on the same type trans, have NO pick-up tube at all...just a large hole in the bottom of the filter.

...Therefore, Tozo's wise advice to cut much of the pick-up tube off replacement atf filters...the long pick up is unnecessary and a potential problem sooner or later.

Last edited by silverd2; 03-05-2012 at 07:37 PM.
Old 03-05-2012, 08:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by silverd2
I can understand the theory...3 bolts that hold the TC to the flex plate...If the TC was not completely flush before torquing the bolts, and (worst case) the 1st bolt was turned all the way down, to plull the TC to the plate (or visa versa), it could **** so that the other 2 would not even out the stress.
I wonder how long the flexplate can take that kind of abuse, if he can hear it so well inside that cushy cabin with inches of foam insulation.

take it easy on her until you get it look at.
Old 03-09-2012, 12:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Just got her back...

immediately noticed the "whine" gear sound is gone...

certainly feels smoother so far.... ive only gone 5 miles back from his shop to mine...but fingers crossed, knock on wood, light a candle....hopefully this will help me for a bit....
Old 03-09-2012, 05:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The fix was.......??
Old 03-10-2012, 05:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

I cut the filter so the pickup tube is now 1/2" long...

I've now gone about 50 miles and she still feels great...

I'm not mashin on her, but that's fine by me for a bit...