A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another Satellite Radio Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2003, 03:15 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another Satellite Radio Question

I recently had a XM Commander Satellite Radio installed in my 98 A8. The installation looks great with the FM modulated tuner located in the ashtray and the small base antenna mounted on top of the dash on the passenger side. The antenna location was recommended by the installer; however, I believe that I am having reception problems with the antenna location because of the insulated windshield. I also completely lost my AM reception, which was not that great to begin with.

My question is are my expectations with satellite radio too high. Should the sound quality of satellite radio be equal to my CDs? Should there be any background noise at higher volumes? Should the reception drop out frequently when I am not on an open road? Is there a better location for the antenna on the outside of the car, perhaps on the trunk lid? Should my AM reception be effected by the modification?

Thanks for any comments/opinions.
Old 12-03-2003, 05:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Move the antenna to outside the car.

I just installed an XM Commander in my daughter's 2003 Passat. The sound of the XM through the VW Monsoon radio is definitely as good, if not better than the best CD.

Antenna placement is crucial to good satelllite radio reception. The antenna MUST go outside the car. We chose a spot on the roof and snaked the antenna wires around the rear window moulding (very tricky) into the car and then to the modulator box. That is the best spot, both for reception and for looks. It looks like it belongs on the roof somewhere. Another alternate that we considered was the trunk lid. I had a Lexus that had the XM antenna there and had very few problems with that spot. The Lexus was definitely an easier install than the Passat, but the Passat install looks better. The installer will usually pick an area that is the EASIEST for THEM. Be firm with your selection, and if he read the instruction manual he would never have chosen a spot inside the car.

There are areas where the XM signal will drop out, but those spots in my part of the country (Northern NJ) are rare. Most of the time , you should expect full "three bar" service.

As far as AM reception deteriorating after the XM install, make sure that your XM unit is turned off when you use your regular AM or FM stations. My AM and FM stations were unusable unless the XM was off.

I hope this helps, and I am really looking forward to the day when I can add XM to my '04 A8L.