A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any Day Now!

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2003, 09:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any Day Now!

Hello Everybody,

New guy here. I'm expecting my 04 A8L in a few days (Night Blue/Cream) and figured it's time to say hi. I've been busily reading hundreds of posts on this forum and am impressed with the knowledge, enthusiasm and camaraderie you all bring to the table.

As a Lexus LS400 owner for the past nine years, I decided it was time for a change, even though there's something to be said for boring perfection! And some of the problems many of you have written about have made me just a tad nervous about what I may be getting into. But at least I've been forewarned, and besides, I've been hopelessly seduced by the car's handling, looks and gizmos.

Here's a question I haven't seen anyone ask yet. My salesman was able to send me a small portion of the Owners' Manual as a .pdf file (pages 106-109, about the V60 phone), but said he didn't have the whole thing. I figure it must be available somewhere and was wondering if any of you knew how to get it? It'd be great to get a leg up on some of the features before the car arrives.

Stan
Old 11-30-2003, 09:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Any Day Now!

Fist of all Stanley, welcome!! As a previous owner of Acura RLs, I understand boring perfection and felt the same angst about moving into unfamiliar waters. I was similarily seduced but NOT feeling abandoned in the least!! LOL The V60 phone has been the subject of more posts than perhaps any other topic I can think of. I think it odd that your dealer cannot get an up-to-date manual for the V60. Perhaps it is available from Motorola. I have opted for ONStar while in the car and my previous cell for other times. I wish I could give you more info on the phone but you , no doubt, will get some good responses in this forum in short order. The best I can do is bring you MORE enthusiasm and more of a sense of "brotherhood"!

greenie 6625(last 4 of the VIN)

04 A8L silver(but I meant to get Night Blue!)/sabre
Old 11-30-2003, 10:05 AM

Default Welcome

I, too, drove Lexus for 12 years and have really enjoyed the comraderie of the A8 owners. You will LOVE your new A8. As with anthing German- There is not any perfection at all. But the emotional response it will give you will be the BIG ADVANTAGE! Enjoy!
Old 11-30-2003, 10:05 AM

Thanks for the welcome, greenie. Actually, I was looking for the .pdf file for the owners' manual for the whole car, not just the phone. I assumed that the pages he sent me were excerpts from that manual. I did buy the phone as I needed one anyway, and am hoping for an MMI update some day that will fix the integration issues. The phone has arrived, along with a crummy manual from Motorola (pages are falling out already).

Stan
Old 11-30-2003, 11:31 AM

Picked up my Oyster Grey (really "Plum") yesterday after Mercedes, 740 IL, etc. Just think of an Audi as that wild and most attractive girl in highschool; you knew she was trouble from day one, but, it was worth it.
I already have a V.60 Motorolla cellphone, HOWEVER, one must buy the same damn thing from Audi for $600 to work in the car because of the "electronics." My dealer would be happy to sell and install.
Old 11-30-2003, 11:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Welcome Stanley

Not sure if it is available free online anywhere, but here is a link to a page where you can order one...<ul><li><a href="http://www.audi.ddsltd.com/cgi-bin/default?ACTION=START&amp;USERTYPE=C&amp;COMPANY=AU DI">http://www.audi.ddsltd.com/cgi-bin/default?ACTION=START&amp;USERTYPE=C&amp;COMPANY=AU DI</a</li></ul>
Old 11-30-2003, 12:59 PM

Yep, I bought the V60i phone with the Audi chip. Interestingly, my dealer didn't have it for sale; they told me to get it from American Wireless, who only charged me $400. Such a deal.

And the cradle was installed at the port. No charge.

Stan
Old 11-30-2003, 01:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Welcome aboard!

Congrats on selecting an awesome car. I hope the wait hasn't been too long. As you've probably read on this forum, we love to see photos of everyone's car. So make sure you have a camera handy when you pick up your car. I got a photo of mine while it was on the showroom floor.

It will be interesting to see if these later A8L's have fewer ghosts. I've had my A8L since late August, and I thouroghly enjoy it (when I'm in town).
Old 11-30-2003, 03:56 PM

I was charged about $395.00 for the V60I phone from Audi. Although you cannot dial via the MMi the voice activated feature works allright for me as I don't do a lot of calling in my car. There is a built in phone with onstar that you can use without the V60 but it is analog and you must prepay minutes at .30 per minute. I have that as a backup and use the V60 in the car and then take the phone with me to carry on my belt. This arrangement has been satisfactory, but not perfect. 2004 A8L serial 8170 night blue/amaretto
Old 11-30-2003, 04:00 PM

Stan if you go to www.motorola.com you can down load a pdf manual for the V60 phone that might be better than the one you got. I had my 15 year old daughter figure it out in about 5 minutes and programmed everything for me!!

Quick Reply: Any Day Now!