A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone get a noise like this @ 45+ MPH?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2006, 06:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone get a noise like this @ 45+ MPH?

Hello All,

Asked this once before, but since had the car back to the dealer and checked it myself -

Starting at 45MPH, a very slight howling wheel bearing type noise kicks in from the rear. Had it to the dealer, the tech and the service manager took the car out twice and claim they hear nothing out of the ordinary - checked the car over and found nothing. This was the 3rd time back for the noise. The service manager told me he had his best guy drive/check/listen.

I jacked the car up and checked/spun each wheel for play or noise - nothing other than the disk pad "scuff".

Seems odd that it is so speed specific, and think the bearing hubs are OK as when the noise kicks in, I swerve lest to right and there is no change - also touch on the brakes - no change.

Can this possibly be some kind of wind noise?

I bought this '03L with 44K miles, and the noise was present then.. now with 47K miles I am gettig nervous with the warrantee about to expire.

Maybe I am nuts, but there is a "noise". Perhaps this is a normal one for Audi's, don't know.. thought I would check again with the crowd..

Thanks, Ray
Old 01-02-2006, 07:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default You don't seem to have considered tire moan.

Certain road textures make certain tires moan or roar. You haven't mentioned this as a possibility.
Old 01-02-2006, 07:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default noise...

A wind noise will change in pitch at a greater rate than a wheel bearing or gear noise.

Consider swaping your tires front to back and see whant happens.

Since you know the noise, have a friend drive the car at 45mph while you poke around the back seat, you'll be able to tell if the noise is coming from one side or another or perhaps the center of the car simply by concentraing on the noise in the back seat while someone else is driving.
Old 01-03-2006, 12:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Wow i get that when the mother in law is in the car
Old 01-03-2006, 12:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default There was an article I read once about

some one who had a lump of dirt on his drive shaft that caused noise at certain speeds/
sounds far fetched but may be worth a look as it will cost zip also check out the tyres as a nail or some foreign object may cause noise as well.
And what about disk wear tags?
Old 01-03-2006, 07:15 AM

Default Re: Anyone get a noise like this @ 45+ MPH?

I would bet anything it is tire noise. I drove from NC to AZ one summer sweating out what I was sure was a failing wheel bearing. Slightly cupped tires were the problem. New tires, no noise.
Old 01-03-2006, 09:29 AM

Default Changed Tires.. no diff

I wish it was the tires - Changed out the ContiTracs with Nokian WR's - same noise..

Just this weekend I put on a set of Blizzak's on new alloy's - same noise ;(

Thanks for the input..
Old 01-03-2006, 09:31 AM

Default I make my mother-in-law ride in the trunk..

wouldn't want her to scratch up the roof..
Old 01-03-2006, 10:51 AM

I'm new to my A8 and after reading this board regularly, I hear gremlins everywhere!
Old 01-03-2006, 12:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default That's what these boards bring out. Folks come here for complaints/fixes

Probably the majority of the owners have few problems. It does give you some idea of what may be expected, but there's also a lot of knowledge here to help too.

Quick Reply: Anyone get a noise like this @ 45+ MPH?