A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone have a GIAC TIP CHIP and/or ECM Chip

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2004, 03:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone have a GIAC TIP CHIP and/or ECM Chip

I had and GIAC ECM Chip in my 98 A8 but there wasn't a TIP chip for these early 97-99 models. Now that I own a 01 A8L I am going to install both. Any comments from those who may have done such already?
Old 09-10-2004, 03:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Is the 18HP really worth the $500 chip?
Old 09-10-2004, 05:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Is the 18HP really worth the $500 chip?

In my 98 the GIAC chip made it much more responsive, it was more than the HP Gain. Basically made the vehicle feel more like I expected it should from the factory. Response was much quicker and the torque seemed to be available vs. reserved much earlier in the RPM range.
Old 09-10-2004, 06:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

What about ECM, Tip Chip & Exhaust? I just hit 50k on my S8 and I am considering these upgrades
Old 09-10-2004, 07:05 PM

Default For my 2000 A6 4.2, tip chip was worth every penny.

I took the route of getting a replacement TCM so that I could swap them out. I was trying to "hack" in a B&M shift improver kit for Fords that clips the pressure control valve activity, but decided to just go ahead and "pays the money".

I haven't proved to myself how the tip chip works, but I feel as if it is purely clipping the PCV's. It feels like it improves the commitment of getting into the next gear (whether up or down), but not quickening the time it spends in the current gear. Shifts are definitely firmer.

Tip chip solved the following major complaints I have about the 5V TCM set-up. I say this because I honestly feel the '98 A8 shifted better, stock versus stock, than my '00 A6.

1. No longers 'hangs' during the first to second gear shift. Stock, felt like the tranny was slipping going into second. However, the TCM still holds on to first longer than I would like, but the improvement with the tip chip is huge.

2. Downshifts from third to second are much quicker ... much, much quicker. As an aside, and this is subjective, I've posted before that the harder I brake, it is noticable that the TCM shifts down quicker with the TIP chip.
Old 09-10-2004, 08:11 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Transmission recoding also helps!!

Just had my 2000 A8L recoded tonight to 00032 which is the factory sport setting. Holds to redline in 1st gear while in Tip and holds in first and second gears longer with only minor aditional pedal depression. Down shifts are also faster when tipping into the pedal to accelerate. All this activity occurs in the first 1/8 to 1/2 of pedal travel. Haven't driven the car enough to decide if it is really any faster while shifting, but initially it seems so.

I am sure the Tip chip adds to this but a recode basically costs nothing. It only takes a few minutes (I mean 3-4 minutes max) to do at the dealer. It can be done when your car is in for any kind of service....ie and oil change. It ought to be complimentary to A8 owners in the know, but even if they charge you for it, anything more than 15-20 min of labor would be excessive.
Old 09-10-2004, 08:46 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default A real 18HP is definitely worth $500.

Even though it is not a hugh gain like in a turbo, a 6% percent improvement is definitely noticable. Have not done it yet to my car, but 5% on other cars I've owned is definitely a good little bump. We already have great low end torque and a smooth revving engine especially those with 5V motors. Renntech charges mercedes owners $2,000 to $5,000 for %5-10 gains on their 5 liter motors with chips, exhausts, and carbon fiber intakes.....ouch!

If $550 gets you a K&N air filter and a good quality chip that maximizes the output of your motor, that is a bargain in my book. All manufacturers leave at least 5% on the table with their engine designs to leave a certain margain of saftey and longevity when used by the GENERAL PUBLIC. We are car enthusiests, who keep our cars in top running order with various mods, premium gas, etc. and can grab that little extra HP if we so choose. A little more fuel and timing advance past the stock settings will yield these improvements, which are easily done with chips.

It seems that it has worked for 2001 A8L in two different Audis, and I have seen noticable gains in my previously owned VW, Porsche, Mercedes, and Honda cars. As a relatively new viewer to this forum, I am actually surprised that more attention is not given to the use of chips. Comments by the regulars here would be much appreciated....how many of you guys have driven cars with and without a aftermarket chip?
Old 09-10-2004, 09:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would buy a fellow Audi owner with a VAG a nice lunch than to spend even $20 at the stealer!
Old 09-11-2004, 07:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default My comment was indicative of the general opinion .. cost/return not making sense.

Of course, I have pointed out in the past that a fancy exhaust costs quite a bit as well, and is good for 20-30HP, so the two items are not that different in cost/return, altho the perception is very different ie tiny chip vs big honking stainless steel pipes.

This is why I asked the chip owner "were the 18hp worth the $500?"

Also, I would not worry too much about stressing the engine with minor mods like this, considering the S8 engine is 360HP stock, and is basically the same piece of metal with improved airflow.
Old 09-11-2004, 12:39 PM

Curious: do they have anything for the S8? TCM/ECU?

Quick Reply: Anyone have a GIAC TIP CHIP and/or ECM Chip