A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone know if it possible to grey market import an S8?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-1999, 10:16 PM
Rob

Default Anyone know if it possible to grey market import an S8?

nt
Old 08-29-1999, 01:23 PM
Todd W

Default Yeah, for a year

The S8 is reportedly coming to the US in a year or so. You could bring one over now for a year and then send it back when they arrive at the dealerships :-)
Old 08-29-1999, 08:02 PM
Rob

Default Where did you find/hear of this information?

nt
Old 08-30-1999, 01:37 PM
Todd W

Central Audi, ask your brother - umm, maybe not
Old 08-30-1999, 03:41 PM
Not an A8 Owner

Default You know, Audi loves to delay introduction on every exciting models.....

Just look at the S4 forum, you will know how delay....delay......delay....until "you don't know if you can get your S4 when the E46 M3 arrives....". I have heard from my dealer that the S8 will be here in about one year or 2 but as Audi's typical inefficient management of product introduction, I would guess the S8 will be here at 2004 and RS8 at 2008. Luckily, I got an S8 Audi brochure from Audi.de ;otherwise, I can start dreaming about. Here's the my biggest advise to Audi of America/Canada:
BMW, Mercedes and Saab are hurrying to introduce their high performance vehicles on the market but from the S4 delay case. You should get the S4, RS4, S6 and S8 here as soon as possible. Otherwise, even the long behind-than-large-carmaker Swedish aeroplane company will get the 9-5 Aero or future 9-3 Viggen quicker than you guys get the S4 here.
I really LOVE Audis, but don't know where's happened with their management team for North America. Maybe they should kill those 60 minutes editors before we can get some more efficient management here for we North American Audi freaks.
Thanks for venting
Tom
97 A4 1.8TQMS
99 JETTA IV GLS 2.0
Old 08-31-1999, 05:49 PM
Todd W

Default Saab Viggen - very fast in a circle

Can we say "torque steer" boys and girls? What do you expect from a souped up chevy crap-a-lier?
Old 08-31-1999, 07:37 PM
Tom

Default Saabs are not based on US Crapalier, its based on Euro-only......

Opel Vectra and one GM-owned UK brand called Cavalier. Its the same basic platform for all the Saabs and the new Saturn L-Series.
Old 08-31-1999, 08:29 PM
Todd W

Default Would that be Vauxhall?

GM's brand in the UK. Never heard of a euro-only Cavalier. You're probably right though. After seeing a Pontiac Parisienne in Paris I don't think any car names will surprise me. (yes the biggest boat Pontiac ever made)

Torque steer comment still applies, but the Vectra is a better car than the Crapalier.

Todd W
Old 08-31-1999, 09:47 PM
Family who owned 2 classic non-turbo 900s before

Default Yeah, its called VAUXHALL......

which is exactly the same car as the Opel in other European countries with different brand name just like Pontiac TransSport and Chevrolet Venture's relationship to Opel Vectra and Vauxhall Vectra.
Wondering how those American land yacht drive on those narrow streets in Paris?
I agree the Saab 9-3 Viggen has extremely obvious torque steer problem as with many high-powered FWD vehicles, but you have to agree that 9-3 is one of the best FWD sports sedans on the market.
Not only the Vectra is a better car than Chevy Crapalier but even Saturn's new L-Series is a way superior car than many Chevrolets (probably except Corvette) because of its good basic structure which is the samme platform as Saab 9-3/9-5.
Tom
97 A4 1.8TQMS
99 JETTA IV GLS 2.0
Old 09-01-1999, 09:30 AM
Todd W

Default I was more curious about the S8 I saw in Paris

I REALLY wanted to know how that drove in Paris, and then Ronin came out 6 months later.

Yeah, I know all about Opel & Vauxhall. I have been keeping current too, since I read CAR magazine. I have no idea when I might go back next time. Need to get a job over there sometime soon.

Saturns are better cars than other GM's, but I m not that impressed with the Corvette yet. Wait until they get it right just before changing it again a la ZR1, Fiero & Corvair. The 9-3 is OK but not stellar. I would never own a high perforamnce FWD car, my dad has a 92 SHO which is fun but no FWD since then has impressed me. I am trying to convince him to replace it with a Lincoln LS (5spd V6) instead of a Chrysler 300M. I would rather have a RWD with traction and stability than any currently available FWD. Of course, AWD is the best way to go but no American cars have it. There are no European car dealerships within 120 miles of where my parents live in FL.

Went car shopping with friends a couple of weeks ago. Looked at 9-3 and A4 Avant. The 9-3 looked so second rate, especially inside, that no one was interested in a test drive. We had fun driving the A4 though :-)

Todd W
86 5KTQ 1.8bar and growing
83 UrQ

Quick Reply: Anyone know if it possible to grey market import an S8?