A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone seen this sign "(0)" need new pads! - advice?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2003, 12:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone seen this sign "(0)" need new pads! - advice?

Looks like I need new rear pads. I'm going to try to do this myself using audipages instructions. Other than on my 944turboS I've never been able to change brakes(no tools needed, just slide out). I always end up having someone else finish the job. I found pads @ EAS discount on the Web for $31-33 a set. My choices are pagid, ate(teves) or Textar. Anyone have an opinion?
Old 04-23-2003, 12:56 PM

Default The brake pad wear sensor just came on on my A8

I believe the sensor is just on the front brake pads. I checked both front and rear pads for wear and I have 1/4" or more on both front and rear pads. I will be installing rotors and pads in a short time. You may need rear pads, I have no clue as to which type may be best. But if the sensor is on, then you will need to install front pads also to get the sensor to go off.
Old 04-23-2003, 12:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default My fronts look fine the rears are gone. Looks like we ..

should get together.. Too many hills in that picture for you to live anywhere near me.
Old 04-23-2003, 01:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts
Default Rear pads don't have sensors

I would go with stock pads for sure. If you start mixing and matching compounds on the front and rear, you will most likely get a change in pedal feel and could be applying the wrong pressures front and rear due to different compounds.

You might also get chronic squealing.

If you go with all stock stuff, you will get good brake performance and minimal squeal.
Old 04-23-2003, 03:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Then I guess it's front & Rears I need
Old 04-25-2003, 01:35 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Anything but Jurid....

Those pads make so much dust its crazy. I like the Padgid ones for a stock type pad. Basically a good all around pad for everyday use. Decent bite, good quality and low dust. Besides its the rear brakes we are talking here its not like these do all that much anyway. As for Pauls comments about mixing compounds. I have never heard anything about that in the many years I have been on multiple Audi lists. Not to say that he is wrong, but it struck me when I read his post. As for changing the rear pads. I found them harder than the fronts. Make sure you loosen the bleeder nipple when pushing the pistons back into the caliper. They may be required to be screwed back in. A large C clamp helps with that. There is a Leslie or Lisle or something like that manufacture of a tool that is basically a cube with the different piston pattern (key) that you can use to push, turn back in there. I never bought one, I just pulled the whole caliper off, put it on my bench and beat the hell out of it to get it back in there ( what a pain ) I highly reccomend the MOTIVE Pressure bleeder. Makes the job a breeze! Mitty Vac sucks, litteraly and figurativley!

HTH

Dan Hamren
98 A8 96 A6 90 V8
previous 87 5kcsqa x2 89 80q 90 CQ 85 4kq 82 c