A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Audi and Reliability Part Two

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2005, 09:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi and Reliability Part Two

Audi and Reliability Part Two

Considering getting an Audi of some sort, no older than 2002 an no more miles than 50k, I hope to find one that is Certified with a 100k Warr… as well…

I will be putting 2100 miles per month, with no intention on keeping any car longer than 18 months…. Iâ€<sup>TM</sup>m curious to see how well Audi Holds up, Iâ€<sup>TM</sup>ve looked at J.D. Power, and well it says that is 3 out of 5 stars so its average…. The question is define average?

My current working location is 60 miles away, I will be driving in excess of 90Mph on good days… I have a National Security type job, so it is key that I am where I need to be…

I know that lexus, would be a better bet.. But, they donâ€<sup>TM</sup>t have Quattro nor do that have the .. the Audiness that I so desire…

I would like you thoughts on this issue…, Who knows better than current owners, right?

Considering a 06 Accord V6

Thanks,

Dan

P.S. For those that are wondering

No female here... I will be working for Uncle Sam, and from what I have heard... From my local, High-ranking State Troopers, in my state is that certain government people do not get tickets...

Yes, I may be pulled over, and given a finger or two…
Old 08-12-2005, 10:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default much better than it used to be

certainly residuals seem to be evidence of that.

if you want quattro, then lexus it ain't.....
Old 08-12-2005, 11:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts
Default My 99 A8 4.2Q has been great.

I bought mine with 54k and now I have 78k on it. The car has been flawless except all the money I have spent upgrading the brakes, suspension, wheels and tires. I have owned a 5000S Turbo and said I would never own another Audi but here I am. An A8 is a great high speed cruiser. At 90 MPH, the car is pulling aroud 2,800 RPM and is very stable.

My sister and brother in-law have a 99 Mercedes E430 and a 99 Lexus LX470. Both vehicles have had numerous problems. Beleive it or not, the LX470 has had the most problems. The extended warranty has spent north of 5K in three years of service on this SUV.

So don't be afraid of getting one. I know I was. The only draw back is that Audi's typically don't hold great resale value.

Also I think Honda Accords are so boring, JMHO. I guess I service so many of those things, they seem so vanilla to me. On the other hand, they are very reliable except for automtic transmission problems. Honda atleast has a campaign and actually fixes their problems.
Old 08-13-2005, 05:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I have a 00' A8L. but here is what I recommend.

You say you have a govt job, driving those speeds of 90mph+ is probably a necessity and not just for making up time for being late for work. The A8 and A8l have a governer, limiting the cars to 135 mph. The S8 would be my car of choice for what you seem to need. Still, limited to 155 but who really needs to go faster then that. If you're going to look at an accord or a lexus, do it before you drive an 8. The 8 will make both cars seem like they need a few things.
hope this helps
Old 08-13-2005, 06:12 AM

Default Re: Audi and Reliability Part Two

I just put 70K miles on my 2001 A8L. It has been a great car. the only non mainenance item that needed replacement was the water pump at 50K miles. Just sold it for a new 2006 A8. The Audi kept me from going back to Lexus
Old 08-13-2005, 07:52 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

18 months, your depreciation wouldn't be too good i'd imagine
Old 08-13-2005, 09:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Well...although Ls430 is one of the most reliable vehicles on the planet wasnt engineered

for sustained speed for the Autobahn. I hit 100mph on a daily basis on my commute to work (50 miles). Mine has 167K and still kickin (for the time being). I also must state that I pretty much beat (performance driving) my car every day and she's still a solid car.
Old 08-13-2005, 12:11 PM

Default Thanks

Those where all Ideas that I was thinking about... I said the Accord for two reasons, they are cheap and seem to work well... I'd buy it New and put my 25,000 Miles on it then sell it...

Most honda's are not all that fun to drive...

I too, was looking at RES rates, and if its a few years old, it should of already did its major drops in value...

I think a car that is a few model years old has already, kind of started to level off and drop at a slow rate... Vs. a new car fresh off the lot...

This all excludes the Mini Cooper.. Which has a ALG rate of what 61% over the next three years... But, the closet BMW Mini dealer is 40miles south, and my Duty Location is 60miles west, then after that.. The closet is 232miles in OH...

Do, you think any BMW dealer can service a mini?

I know this is not a BMW fourm, lol

Thanks Again Guys for your Help
Old 08-13-2005, 02:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default If the people want to make it legal

for off-duty cops and government employees to break the law, then why doesn't the legislature just change the law? Maybe they should have special license plates. How come MDs get special license plates, and nobody else does? I think I'm going to write my reprehensitives and ask them to do just that.

I was at a party a few years back which was thrown by a federal marshal and his wife. I was informed that I didn't have to worry about drinking and driving since all the local cops were there at the party too -- all I should do if stopped was to say I'd been at his party. I don't know if that would have worked or not, but *he* certainly seemed to think so.

The thing that I wonder most about is whether pinning a Fraternal Order of Police medallion to my license plate might have prevented the ticket I got last week for an out-of-date inspection.
Old 08-13-2005, 07:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default yes, BMW dealer should be able to....

at least that's what a BMW saleperson told me (they were a large BMW/Mini franchise).

Quick Reply: Audi and Reliability Part Two