A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Audi is trying to locate an A8L for me...don't konw how

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2003, 12:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi is trying to locate an A8L for me...don't konw how

long that is going to take.
Old 07-10-2003, 12:47 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default They could give you greenie's, but it's cruising around Chicagoland somewhere.

;-)

Good luck on getting a replacement soon.
Old 07-10-2003, 03:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: Audi is trying to locate an A8L for me...don't konw how

TRYING to locate one? Is that because of what you want option and color wise? Keep your sanity Dinan, even though Im sure its tough sometimes.
Old 07-10-2003, 03:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: They could give you greenie's, but it's cruising around Chicagoland somewhere.

Ya know, I was thinking the same thing!!!!!

greenie

04 A8L silver/sabre 19" wheels Aug. del. to the Phila area. July del. to Illinois!
Old 07-10-2003, 03:41 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default that's B.S. dinan5.

they should commandeer (sp) the next frame entering the assembly line and build that car to your spec. you should be able to have it in 3 weeks, 4 tops.

the problem with "finding" a car in the US is threefold:

(1) there aren't any. the dealers have sold all their initial cars except the one they were forced NOT to sell so they had a test drive car (and you sure as hell don't want one of those).

(2) as best i can tell, the dealers have not gotten any meaningful shipments of follow-on stock cars. maybe one or two, but that's it, and they probably presold them once they knew what was coming in (i know all the dealers i've talked to have tried this).

(3) even if they DID find something, from my research, the dealers are ordering LAME option cars. i don't know what your list looked like, but the dealers are woosies if you ask me!

suggestion: tell AoA you want your dealer to buy back your car. make you 100% whole (taxes, fees, etc.). give you a three month loaner. and you'll consider purchasing a new, ordered to spec A8 L.

and if you choose to not go audi, you have enough time to get whatever you need with the loaner in the interim.

OR they fix your car to as-new within the timeframes provided by the lemon laws.

doody.
Old 07-10-2003, 04:19 PM

Default Re: that's B.S. dinan5, Doody's on the money!

The only heavily optioned out launch cars are one's like my dealer made a mistake, I ended up releasing for sale and the owner of the dealership has been currently driving for the last couple of days. The dealer tried to look for a replacement car for me to no avail when they ordered the wrong color. If you could live with a Northern Blue w/ Biege, I could help you swing a good deal. It was fully optioned out, expect for the solar roof...it's glass w/ 19" 12 spokes. I really don't think there's too many screwed up special orders floating around. Knowing what has happened to you, makes me feel for your situation, since I should have had my car a month ago....again hang in there buddy, I sure they will do the right thing for your troubles.
Old 07-10-2003, 04:25 PM

Default Re: that's B.S. dinan5. They can't even find the cars in Houston which have names on them!

Mine's been in Houston for 2 1/2 weeks, was a rush replacement order and has yet to be delivered to the NY/Metro area...do not hold your breath...unless you take a dealer screw up!
Old 07-10-2003, 04:43 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default A few holes and some good points.

1. Cars are very thin on the ground. There is a very good chance there isn't going to be anything at a dealer that is going to fly for you.

2. Yes, supply for dealers are limited. However, AoA can pull anything they wish from the port or incoming shipments so long as they aren't already spoken for.

3. Dealers tend to order what has worked for them in the past. If this is a new demographic who is buying the A8, then it is something they need time to learn.

4. It is impossible to build a car and get it here in 3 to 4 weeks. It takes 2 months from the time the car enters production, to when it arrives here. Parts are ordered in advance and delivered using the "just in time" method. If you want a body in a certain colour, it's usually done in batches where they do one shift or day in one colour, and another in the next. Interiors need to be ordered in advance from the suppliers so that they are on hand when the car is built. Same goes for special options. They don't have bins of spare parts laying around any more. Every part has a car for which it destined. The ship and US customs can easily take 3 to 4 weeks by itself.

You won't get an immediate buy-back AND loaner. You'll get one or the other. Why would AoA rush an order or pull a car away from other people for someone while they drive AoA's car, with absolutely no obligation to follow through ? Surely you can see it makes no sense if you step into their shoes for just a moment. It's all very well to dictate, but you have to make sure your requests are within the realm of reality ;-)

I've been in this position before when an ordered car came without QTR ( when QTR was ordered and the order sheets had confirmed it ). AoA has access to cars not showing in the dealer system. Remember that press cars, AoA executive cars, cars going to other markets that are basically US spec and only need stickers, lights, and a few other items to comply, and a number of others, never show up in the dealer system. You need to access AoA and VAG for that info. It doesn't happen instantly.

Instead of getting yourself into a lather for nothing before we have any info, why not wait to see what AoA says ?
Old 07-10-2003, 05:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts
Default So why are they replacing it again?

Because of the seats, tranny or steering? I can't believe they would replace it for any of these things.

pw
Old 07-10-2003, 05:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: that's B.S. dinan5.

Doody, I still think that a collateral exchange is the way to go here. Basically, that is what AoA is apparently doing.

greenie

04 A8L silver/sabre 19" wheels seen in Chicago!!

Quick Reply: Audi is trying to locate an A8L for me...don't konw how