A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Audi vs BMW

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2000, 05:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi vs BMW

Looking at both the A8L and the 740iL.....I'd appreciate feedback from those that have test driven both....

Thanks
Old 09-01-2000, 07:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: Audi vs BMW

The numb on center feel of BMW’s recalculating ball steering compared to Audi's razor sharp rack and pinion was a big factor in my purchase decision. BMW 740’s are a dime a dozen. There are hundreds of them coming off lease each month. Look on the roads around you… every putz with a few extra dollars in their pocket is driving a Mercedes-Benz or BMW. It will only be a matter of months before the chrome wheels and chrome fender cover crowd starts to work their modification magic. The Audi A8, by comparison, is specialty car with limited production. If you’re paying over 50 grand then consider setting yourself away from the crowd. Look closely at the BMW interior, I think is weak compared to the Audi A8’s interior. Look closely at the BMW exterior; to me it screams luxo-barge trying to be sporty. The understated elegance of the A8’s body shape is still fresh and unique. Don’t for get the Quattro factor. I drove both, the 740 seemed bloated and heavy compared to the A8. Drive both, insist on a lengthy tour, not the poultry spin around the block most dealers give Drive them and see what you prefer.<p>John
www.icsamerica.com
www.sandtools.com
www.naughtyatnight.com
Old 09-01-2000, 05:56 PM

If you are going to get a seven at least wait until the new body style right around the corner. The 7 series looks old and dated compared to the rest of their line. The A8 and 7 series are both great, I doubt you would dislike either so get the one you really love most. It is hard though, to give up AWD.
Old 09-01-2000, 09:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

I had posted the following material on this board a short while ago...in case you hadn't seen it, I'm posting it here again (with a few minor updates).

My BMW 540i is coming off its lease in about a month, and was just replaced by an A8L. I test drove the 740iL, and it's a blast to drive (as is my 540i). Here are the differences as I see them.

Sporty/nimble handling: BMW wins. This is a little rocket that wants to be flogged around. Far more satisfying if you want to toss a car around and simply be sporty. Steering feel is second to none. The car seems to sense where you want to go, and does it with such crisp execution that it's almost eerie.

Elegance: Audi wins. Hands down. BMW interior comes off as cheap and dowdy. Audi interior is simply awesome.

Exterior lines: Sort of a toss up, but I'd give the edge now to Audi for two reasons. First, the A8L's sheer size gives it a commanding presence that the BMW lacks. It also has a very muscular stance about it, particularly from the rear view. The 5-spoke 17" wheels spiff up the side view of the car, and give it a sporty look. Second, the BMW is looking very, very dated. The current 7-series has been around for about 5 years with few changes. Plus, it is about to be replaced by a completely redesigned model due out next spring or early summer.

Pizazz factor: Believe it or not, I'd give this to the Audi. More than once I've seen a driver come up alongside me with a very quizzical look on his face, take a long hard look, and then say (well, I'm lip reading here, but these are the words they're mouthing), "What the **** is that???" Just happened to me last night by a guy in a Mercedes S500. Also, BMWs are dead common, at least in my neighborhood. No one pays any attention to them whatsoever. The A8L is unique, and I've seen many guys walk around the car several times either wondering what it was or admiring it...or both.

Highway driving: Audi wins. Very stable, comfortable, and quiet. Just remember to set that speed alarm feature; you'll shoot past 80 withour realizing it.

Seating comfort: This is a close one, but I'd give a slight edge to the BMW. The seats hug you in all the right places. You sit IN them, snugly. In contrast, you seem to sit ON the Audi seats.

Sound system: No question, Audi wins. Sound quality alone would win Audi the prize, but the functions and layout of the sound system controls are unparalleled in any other car.

Winter driving: Again, no question. Audi wins. My 540i, equipped with BMW's advanced traction control feature, left me sit in the middle of a flat intersection last winter. I was pushed out of the way by a guy in a hurry to a meeting, and I was blocking his progress. My A6 4.2 -- even with the performance tires -- cruised through snow covered streets and hills as though it were summertime.

Value proposition: Audi wins. Simply more bang for the buck.

Overall bottom line: unless you are a true sporty driving enthusiast, skip the BMW. While it excels in being a true driver's car (yet perhaps still has a slightly more supple ride), the Audi should provide more comfort overall plus the confidence inspired by the quattro system.

Audi-X2
'00 A6 4.2 black/vanilla
'01 A8L black/black
Old 09-02-2000, 09:37 AM

You need to look back a bit at Car and Driver, too. There was a comparison article last fall with the S Mercedes and Lexus thrown in as well. Their main complaint with the Audi was the lack of rear seat space. In a follow up in June '00, they did a short take on the A8L and concluded it was faster, solved the space issue, and, in my opinion, has better lines as well. I went for the A8L. Besides the other comments, it is faster than the BMW, and, frankly, I like the fact that it is unique, somewhat "stealth" for the class of car, and you don't see yourself coming and going at every turn.
Old 09-02-2000, 10:12 PM

Default great post.. definitly worth reading..

<p>John
Old 09-05-2000, 10:49 AM

Default Audi's Got Quattro!

<p>2001 A4 1.8T Quattro Tiptronic
Old 09-05-2000, 07:36 PM
ajw
AudiWorld Member

I have a '97 740iL and a '97 A8, both with about 40K miles. Both are great cars and each has it's positives.

Audi-X2 makes an excellent comparison. He is on target on the difference in seats. The comfort of the drivers seat in the 740iL is what made the difference for me. The safety of the A8 is what made it my wifes car .

I sat in the seats of a 2001 A8L at my dealer and the drives seat feels more like the wrap around BMW seat then the flat firm seat in the '98 A8.

For fair weather tooling around I like the 740iL. When the weather gets bad I take the A8.

If I could only have one and I was buying today I'd get a '01 A8L. I've already got on the list for an '02 A8L.

Service experience over the last 3 years has been similar for both cars.<p>Allen

'97 A8
'97 740iL
Old 09-13-2000, 03:13 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Since you own a A6 4.2 and have an A8L on order...

I have to ask the "why?" question... Is there anything that you feel you are getting in the A8L that the A6 may have fallen short? (Except for the obvious cabin room...) I would feel kinda weird owning two such similiar cars. Did you consider a Benz at all?

While I like the A8's looks, it is just too massive of a car for my tastes, for me the A6 4.2 is the perfect comprimise between sport and size.

Since you seem to be a collector, is a TT 225 in your future?

-Dave
Old 09-13-2000, 08:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Since you own a A6 4.2 and have an A8L on order...

Hi Dave,

Good questions...why have an A6 4.2 and an A8L, and did I consider a Benz? I'll answer in reverse order.

I did consider a Benz, but the only comparable cars (price-wise) are the S430 and the E430. Both were unacceptable for various reasons -- primarily because MB is now less of a well-engineered manufacturer and more of a well-marketed manufacturer. Corners are being cut in the cabin and underneath, and I wasn't impressed with their handling, either. Besides, the E-class is looking -- yawn -- very tired, and the S-class looks downright goofy (especially from the front).

I got the A6 4.2 last December, and it's simply thrilling to drive. I love its aggressive good looks and stance, and the vanilla cabin is beautiful. This car is very sporty; it's more than eager and willing to be tossed around playfully. The acceleration is breathtaking -- more like a sense of flying than of driving. The handling is much lighter than that of a BMW, which seems heavy by comparison (although I'll give BMW big points for its razor-sharp steering feel plus its more supple ride).

I got the A8L three weeks ago, and it's a completely different car in almost every way. The A6 4.2 has the energetic and sprightly personality of youth; the A8 (especially in its L form) goes about its business with noble poise and the refined manners that come only with maturity. Here's a brief comparison of the two in several specific areas:

Highway driving: A8L is superior. Absolutely silent interior, while the A6 allows some road and wind noise. The A8L's highway ride is excellent and extremely stable. The feeling is one of being utterly isolated from the outside world -- as though you're simply sitting still and the world is being pulled past you.

Backroad driving: A6 4.2 is far more nimble and enjoyable. As you noted, its a great compromise between sport and size -- and on the twisty roads, this car is all sport while still giving plenty of room for 4 passengers (don't try to put three in the back seat -- things can quickly get ugly back there). The A8L does not want to be pushed hard in tight corners, so it isn't much fun on country roads or even on curves on city streets. The regular wheelbase A8 is much better for sporty driving, but I'd still give a huge edge to the A6 4.2 in this area.

Seats: A big drawback in the A6. They're just okay, and barely tolerable on long trips. The A8's comfort seats are wonderful.

Interior: Obviously, whoever designed the A8's interior didn't have any stock options in the company -- he or she spent the entire year's dividends on that cabin. While the A6 interior is also wonderful, the A8 has so many superior touches that you'd probably have to go all the way out to a Rolls-Royce to get an interior that comes close. Ditto creature comforts. Far too many pleasant and thoughtful touches in the A8L to list here.

Recently, someone on this forum asked me which of the two cars I'd choose if I could have only one of them. It's sort of like asking whether you'd rather have a TT 225 or a stretch limo. They're not comparable at all. However, I'm still young and still like sporty cars, so I'd probably choose the A6 4.2. If I were quite a bit older and no longer interested in -- how shall I put this -- highly enthusiastic driving, I'd go for the A8L. I guess I have both because I'm at that awkward middle age where I'm still clinging on to youth, but coming to grips with the reality of becoming a gentleman. At least I can deflect the charge that the A8L is an "old man's car" by pointing to its category-leading and very impressive 0-60 time...

Audi-X2
'00 A6 4.2 black/vanilla
'01 A8L black/black

Quick Reply: Audi vs BMW