A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it a bad idea to mount tires at home?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2008, 04:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default possible and I have done it in an emergency for one tire and rim

Don't try it! For starters you need 2 or 3 good tire irons, something to "break the bead" with (2x4 punch, 12 pound sledgehammer, helper), or use the weight of another car, rubber lube, new valve stems, a good air compressor and something to constrict the bead aginst the rim 360 x 2 sides with the valve core out so you can make the initial seal to inflate. You run the risk of damaging the rim with manual irons. Tire machines now are very easy on the rims, they have to be with all the cheap cast alloy rims around. It takes a LOT of force to mount tires. I mostly use COSTCO and I try to slip the tech $20 beforehand.
Old 06-01-2008, 04:27 PM

Default The only tires I've mounted at home are bycicle tires and motorcycle tires.

Braking the bead on a motorcycle tire which is much easier than a car tire required a huge C clamp. In retrospect I wouldn't do it again.
Old 06-01-2008, 04:45 PM
Banned

Paul K, he sounds like your kind of guy. Party with him!
Old 06-01-2008, 05:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 61 Likes on 51 Posts
Default Well...I have manually mounted tires....and......

It's a real bugger to do at home. As has been mentioned..the first bead is okay and the second one is a bear. The reason I mounted tires manually is because I had a Ferrari with a single-lug-bolt in the center of the wheel and I didn't want the wheel to get buggered up. Way too valuable! So I did it myself. To break the bead of the old tires, I made up a short car ramp device and then gently drove up on it until the bead broke. It didn't take much at all. But getting the new tires on without gouging up the rims was EXTREMELY DIFFICULT! If your considering doing this to save a few bucks I don't recommend it. If your doing it to save a wheel then...well....maybe....
Old 06-01-2008, 05:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Surely you jest... (long)

My rule of thumb in deciding whether to DIY or pay someone else works like this. 1) How long do I reasonably expect that it will take for me to accomplish this task? 2) What, if any, tools/materials that I do not already have will probably be necessary to accomplish this task and how much will they cost? 3) Add a minimum of 100% to whatever the above total is. 4) What is my time worth and can I use the time I will waste trying to save a little money more productively doing something else?

I worked in a garage/service station while in college (yeah, it was a long time ago when you didn't pay extra for full service -- premium was $0.40/gallon) and dismounted tires (not radials) using oversized tire spoons. This is a no brainer. With the beads on modern tires, you have to be a masochist to try to do this at home to save $20/tire.

It would probably be worth more than $20 in admission fees just to watch you try this. Seriously...pay the man!!!!
Old 06-01-2008, 05:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default $20 might seem OK when you get done

Changing automotive tires is not so bad, but it is realy easy to scuff rims. do all the hard work on clean card board. The motorcycle shops sell plastic "rim savers" to protect the area where tire irons are used.

I have done the summer /winter swap on the VW jetta a couple times. The hours sure get chewed up, and still a good balance job is needed. more $$$

Just to mention the back woods approach, I use the log splitter to break down the tire bead on the take off, and then use the motorcycle tie- downs cinched around the new tire to help get the bead to seat.

On first air fill of the freshly mounted tire, pull the valve stem to maximise air flow in. Or, do what the ATV guys do, and just give the inside of the tire space a spritz of brake cleaner and touch a fire to it. ' seats the tire bead in one WHOOSH!

Points to pay attention.

Soapy water lube is your friend!
Make sure the bead on the side opposite the part your trying to lever over the rim is well into the "drop center" on the wheel. Your not trying to force the tire on. Just get it over the rim.

Polished tire spoons are much better!

Three is the minimum That goes for hands too ;-)

Good luck!

CalG
Old 06-01-2008, 05:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default try this

http://toolsandmore.us/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=359
Old 06-02-2008, 05:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Definitely. Tx for the heads up too Beef.
Old 06-02-2008, 05:30 AM

I'd rather drill my own teeth at home :-D
Old 06-02-2008, 07:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Buy an extra set of rims...

for your winter, track, high-performance tires. Have it done once and forget messing with it ever again. If you buy your tires from a shop that gives the free balancing then let them re-balance them every time you change over.

Quick Reply: Is it a bad idea to mount tires at home?