A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery problem?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2004, 10:09 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery problem?

I have a 2001 A8L with 47,500 miles and one month left on the warranty. Last week my remote key failed to unlock the door. I went back in the house, thinking I had grabbed my second remote key that has not worked for a while. I discovered I had the right key and went back outside and tried again. The key worked this time but the clock was set back to 12:00 and the radio displayed "SAFE."

When I entered the security code for the radio that I found hand written in the stereo manual, following the directions to the letter, the radio remained in SAFE mode.

I had been planning to take it in for service anyway so the timing was good. I arrived at the dealership and pulled up to the service door. I turned off the car, got out but was then asked to move the car. I got back in, turned the key and got no response. No cranking, no lights, nothing. It has never done this before. At least it could not have happened in a better place. When they went to get into the trunk to jump the car, they had to insert the key because the remote trunk open did not respond. (At first he could not get the trunk to open even after inserting the key until I reminded him it was "lefty-loosey.")

The car has been there now for a week. There were a number of issues to be addressed. I spoke to the service rep yesterday and he said the car was ready. As he read off the services performed, he said "Check battery and charging system, no problem found." I said there must be a problem. If it is not the battery or charging system then what else could it be? He is checking with the mechanic. They could not get the radio to work either so they are ordering a new radio.

Greg
Old 10-07-2004, 10:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts
Default They sound clueless

Sometimes when that happens with the radio, you have to pull the fuse on the back of it and reinsert it. Then you can usually get it out of safe mode. They could at least vag-com it.

It does sound like your battery is going dead, who knows if it's the charging system or the battery....my 97 still has the original battery and it works just fine.

pw
Old 10-07-2004, 10:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default My PhatNoise box is "inaccessible" by Symphony every 3-4 days...

..Phatnoise claims it's due to an electrical (voltage) drop somewhere that throws it off (leds stay constantly on). To reset it, I have to remove the serial plug in the back and reconnect it; then it's fine, till next time. VAG shows nothing, and no other system in the car is affected, so who knows...
Old 10-07-2004, 01:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Battery problem?

My battery was dead but I still had instrument light. I jump started it and I drove it home. Next day it wouldn't start so I just bought a battery. Since I don't have the radio code,( Audi asking $ 54 for the code) I put a jumper cable on the new battery and the car's battery cable then I removed the cables from the old battery, took out the old battery reconnect the cables so I had continuous power for the car. I just don't understand, I have the original book with the car, it has the code card but it is empty. So they sold the car 7 years ago for $ 65000 without code no, then they want you to pay $54 for something the forgot. I just wondering, did they really forgot or it's just a job insurance?
Old 10-07-2004, 03:24 PM

Default Try a different dealer instead of paying $54. Some value customer goodwill more than others.

You might get lucky. Otherwise call AoA and explain you have a blnak code card. It's a ligitimate problem that they should be willing to fix without a charge since it was a screw up at initial purchase time.
Old 10-07-2004, 04:24 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default Re: They sound clueless

They are sticking with their "everything tests ok" stance. The rep says they would be happy to replace the battery under warranty but they have to send a test result to audi to get it covered and it tests ok. Nevermind the fact that it died right in their driveway and they had to jump it. He says maybe there was a light left on or some battery drain that caused a termporary problem. He admits they are guessing and have no idea why it happened. Sounds like a bad battery or some intermittent bad connection to me. I wanted to ask for the service reps home number so when it dies somewhere other than in their driveway I can call him for a jump.

They put a new radio in which does seem a little crazy to me but at least they fixed the problem. Would the VAG-com tell them the code?

Greg
Old 10-09-2004, 11:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 90 Likes on 81 Posts
Default Radio Code

I didn't have the radio code in the book either and the dealer want to charge $60 for getting the code. I removed the stereo unit to look at the Serial Number and there it was, the dealer cut the code and stuck it in the back of the unit. Amazing how each dealer work with their new cars' stereo.