A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

best location to put jack stands?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2020, 09:29 AM
Banned

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default best location to put jack stands?

Where is the best location to put jack stands under these cars when needed?
Old 01-12-2020, 01:43 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The only points I could ever figure out are the factory prescribed jack points under the rocker panels.
Old 01-13-2020, 06:01 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm sure there are probably better places somewhere, but I've always put them under the sub-frame.
Old 01-13-2020, 06:27 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Walravine
The only points I could ever figure out are the factory prescribed jack points under the rocker panels.
...which you would already be using to jack up the car, no?

I've seen jack stands that nest outside the bottle jack. But, that's not the stands I have, nor the jack. So?
Old 01-13-2020, 07:49 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by BlackOptic
...which you would already be using to jack up the car, no?
Yup. And that's the problem with these cars. I ended up buying a set of Quickjacks, which is a stupidly expensive solution to what should be a very simple problem. Before buying the Quickjacks I made a set of cribbing blocks with a notch on the bottom so I could roll a floor jack underneath them. Here's how it worked: I would take floor jack #1 and lift the car at the jack point. When the wheel was high enough I placed the block under it. I would then use floor jack #2 to lift the cribbing block and wheel and car higher. This allowed me to remove jack #1 from under the jack point and swap it with a jack stand. After the jack stand was positioned under the jack point I would lower jack #2 and the cribbing block, remove the cribbing block, and ta da, the car would now be suspended on a jack stand. Here's a video that shows the concept of the notched blocks I made.
Mine are sturdier, taller and wider, and I don't use a dumb scissor jack.

Now, the beauty of this is that you can make your own cribbing blocks for the price of 2x4 lumber. Of course, you need at least two floor jacks (three if you want to lift both sides of the car evenly) and you have to spend the time building the blocks and then futzing around every time you want to lift the car.

One possible approach might be to fabricate something similar to Liftbars used by Porshce owners. I'm not a welder or a structural engineer so building a pair is beyond my pay grade, but it would be an elegant solution.
Old 01-15-2020, 07:53 AM
Banned

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

That wood block method scares me. I guess I'll use the subframe as Stromaluski mentioned.
Old 01-15-2020, 08:58 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Cribbing properly made is one of the safest foundations you can use. Dry docks, for example, use cribbing to support ships being repaired. In your case (mine too) you're only using the cribbing to raise the car high enough to place a jackstand under the jackpoint.

If you do support your car at the subframe, let us know where you position your stands. When I was scouting spots under my A8 I was scared to use the subframe because I wasn't sure if it was strong or rigid enough, especially since there's so many aluminum bits on these cars.