A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Black A8L with Carmel.......polishing tips

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2000, 05:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Black A8L with Carmel.......polishing tips

guys, just got my new A8L.....my first black car and its really nice with the carmel interior. Can anyone give me tips on how to keep the spots off the black after washing. right now I'm using a spray wax after the wash and they remove nicely, but its a pain....

Thanks
Old 10-10-2000, 11:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: Black A8L with Carmel.......polishing tips

DO NOT bring it to a car wash. Always have your car washed by hand with soft cleaning products and clean soapy water. Better yet...have the car washed at a professional detailing center. Black and other dark colors will develop irremovable swirl marks if not washed correctly every time. If you wash the car yourself wash the wheels last and use separate cleaning material for the body and the wheels. Never should anything that comes in contact with the wheels touch the anything that come in contact with the body of the car. I use a set of cleaning materials for the top and sides above the door strip and another set of materials for the wheels and rocker panels on the bottom. I wash the wheels last with a soft brush. Never should a brush that has been on the wheels be placed in a bucket that hold water for the body. Even small amounts of brake dust will scratch you car's surface. My wash kit contains two buckets, three sponges and one soft wheel brush. This method yielded swirl free results for me.
Old 10-11-2000, 09:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any tips on products to keep it spot free?
Old 10-11-2000, 05:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Use a pure and name brand carnauba wax. DO NOT use anything that requires you to shake it and DO NOT use anything that say cleaner (IE Maguire's Wax/Cleaner). The abrasives in the cleaner will leave swirl marks. Avoid things that read like "Mega Shine Polish 2001." In my opinion, 3M makes the best products. You can find them at any good quality auto parts store and they are reasonable priced. I find the freshest 3M products at my local Auto Paint Supply store. 3M also makes a glaze that comes in two varieties. One glaze for dark colored paint and one for light colored paint. Use the 3M glaze before apply the 3M wax and your car will look like back ice and have a shine that can't be beat! Follow the instruction on the bottle exactly to the letter. DO NOT use any rag that that is thin and gauze like to apply or remove the wax or glaze. Bathroom towels are like that and are way to abrasive. Use foam pads to apply wax or glaze and specialty polishing cloths to remove it. May people like to use diapers to remove was but I picked up an ultra soft polishing cloth that feels like channel at my local Auto Paint Supply store. They were pricey (+20$) but I've never found anything softer and more durable. These cloths are so soft I wish I could wear them. Do all this carefully by hand; never use any sort of machine. Follow my advice and I guarantee an unbeatable shine with no swirls. If you have any specific question email me at john@icsamerica.com