A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blown Head Gasket Question. Please Help (Urgent!)

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 07:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blown Head Gasket Question. Please Help (Urgent!)

Hello every one - I'm a new member here and I hope you can help me with this problem.

I have a 97 4.2 A8 with coolant leak. I filled it up, but everytime the car is cooling down, the leak starts! I took it to 2 different dealers and they both said that I have a blown head gasket. The cost of repair is close to $3000 and I can't afford it at this time. A friend suggested Bar's Leak Head Gasket Repair. It costs $10 at Kragen and it comes with detailed instructions: (please see below!)

Bar's Leaks Head Gasket Repair:
http://www.barsproducts.com/1100.htm

Bar's Leaks Head Gasket Repair Instructions:
http://www.barsproducts.com/tech/1100_tech.pdf

Has anyone used this product before? If yes, does it really fix the problem permanently as the product claims? It needs an experienced technician to do the job. Based on those instructions I would imagine the labor would be around 3-4 hours which is nowhwere near the 20 hours labor time quoted by the dealer to replace the Gasket.

I searched the forum before posting, but I wasn't able to find anything that would answer my question; my apologies if this has been posted before.

Thank you for your help.
Mike
Old 01-10-2008, 08:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Do you see coolant on the ground?

Is it leaking out or into the cylinders? A good independent shop would do it for much less. If is the head gasket(s)they are around $50 each. Head bolts are $3-$4 each, you need 10 or 20 depends if you have to do both side. Intake gasket is around $20-$30 you will need 2. Or you can guy an engine for $1000-$1300. I would ask a good indi shop to diagnose it first.
Old 01-10-2008, 08:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Bar's is not a permanent fix

It's not gonna last very long, and you have no guarantee of it working either. If you have a badly cracked gasket, then in won't do anything. If the crack is small, it might temporarily fix it. That's my take on it. I replaced mine, with the parts tozo listed in the thread myself.
Old 01-10-2008, 09:06 PM

Default Re: Do you see coolant on the ground?

Yes, It is leaking out. The dealer said the same thing, parts are cheap but It's gonna be a very labor intensive job. I believe they even said that the engine has to be dismounted.

Can anyone recommend a reliable independent Audi shop in Southern California, Orange County Area to be exact.

Thanks
Old 01-10-2008, 09:08 PM

Default Re: Bar's is not a permanent fix

I can live with temporary fix for now as I'm planning to get rid of the car soon.
Old 01-10-2008, 11:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default you got mail-doesnt mention lifting the engine-sounds like a new repair shop needed

My own experiance with bars left a gungy mess throughout the cooling system that caused more issues than it solved-check that it is compatable with aluminium components
Old 01-11-2008, 06:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts
Default You sure it's not leaking into your transmission through the radiator/tranny cooler?

If your engine oil is all milky, then there is no doubt. But if your engine oil is normal, then it could very well be that you have a leak inside your radiator where the ATF is cooled.

This has been a reported problem before, only a few cases, but we've heard of it.
Old 01-11-2008, 07:44 AM

Default So let me get this straight, Mr. 3 posts . . .

You found a good deal on a used A8 and thought you could afford it, without considering the cost of repairs and maintenance. Now you're facing an expensive repair, and rather than fix it, you want us to tell you how to patch it up temporarily for as little money as possible. Then you plan to sell it to some unsuspecting buyer, further devaluing all of our cars.

Awesome!
Old 01-11-2008, 07:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Sadly, it's a common trend. People forget to consider that "thongs require firm butts."
Old 01-11-2008, 09:10 AM

Default Re: So let me get this straight, Mr. 3 posts . . .

Wow!!! It's amazing how you make up your own assumptions.. I had this car for 5 years and I was in the process of upgrading to newer 03 model when this happened. And to let you know, I don't screw people like that! If I sell the car, the buyer will know every problem and they can choose to fix it or not. It doesn't make sense for me to spend $3000 to fix now. Thanks for your help anyway...

Quick Reply: Blown Head Gasket Question. Please Help (Urgent!)