A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

On board computer

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 05:55 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default On board computer

Hi
Does anyone know how to make the display for board computer work, for some reason the display will show words of press foot brake when changing gear... when the vehicle starts then it goes off
It doesn't show me the gear selection or when I use the selector switch for the on board computer the display is blank

Any one got an ideas??
Old 04-29-2013, 06:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by triston1211
Hi
Does anyone know how to make the display for board computer work, for some reason the display will show words of press foot brake when changing gear... when the vehicle starts then it goes off
It doesn't show me the gear selection or when I use the selector switch for the on board computer the display is blank

Any one got an ideas??
1st try the switch on the underside end of the wiper arm. It turns most of the center display off and on...or if held longer resets some functions of the computer display.

Not sure about your car (pre-facelift), but on a facelift (different type display) car it doesn't turn off the gear display...just the computer readouts and nav info.
Old 04-30-2013, 09:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I remember my first A8. I was driving it home from Salt Lake City to Boise, about a 5 hour drive, and half way home, I noticed the screen in the middle had quit, and I was pissed I'd bought a lemon!

So, for about 3/4 of a hour, I was driving along at 83mph, venting to nobody else what POS I'd just bought, and then noticed that there were some buttons I'd not tried, and so I tried them...

On goes the screen, and the various data sets you can choose from.... Duh! Then I spent the next 3/4 of an hour playing with the fuel economy, speed settings, and finally had to stop and read the manual to stop it from beeping at me!

Hope that's all it is on your car too.
Old 05-01-2013, 03:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Adjuster
I remember my first A8. I was driving it home from Salt Lake City to Boise, about a 5 hour drive, and half way home, I noticed the screen in the middle had quit, and I was pissed I'd bought a lemon!

So, for about 3/4 of a hour, I was driving along at 83mph, venting to nobody else what POS I'd just bought, and then noticed that there were some buttons I'd not tried, and so I tried them...

On goes the screen, and the various data sets you can choose from.... Duh! Then I spent the next 3/4 of an hour playing with the fuel economy, speed settings, and finally had to stop and read the manual to stop it from beeping at me!

Hope that's all it is on your car too.
Yep, I've lost count of the posters on this and other forums with the same complaint and solution.

I found the switch by accident myself, before getting a chance to read the owner's manual and thought, "Man I bet scares the hell outta people just turning on their wipers".
Old 05-06-2013, 11:14 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by silverd2
Yep, I've lost count of the posters on this and other forums with the same complaint and solution.

I found the switch by accident myself, before getting a chance to read the owner's manual and thought, "Man I bet scares the hell outta people just turning on their wipers".
Yeah that did the trick thanks guys, came straight on lol
Still learning the car...