A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Building on the thread by Puzz1, what do you think the A8/S8 says about you?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2003, 07:58 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Building on the thread by Puzz1, what do you think the A8/S8 says about you?

just based on the car alone what do you think these car say?
Old 07-28-2003, 08:09 PM

Default Umm, you look for quality and originality; not blend with the crowd, but not stick out too much; ...

no compromising performance or luxury, but don't want to rub other peoples faces in it (too much); and you are a fan of technology, subtelty and class
Old 07-28-2003, 08:40 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default This is probably not going to win me any friends here, but...

I don't think is "says" much at all. Audi does not have the name recognition for the common person that MB, BMW or Lexus has. The automobile saavy person seems to appreciate it, but the general public is indifferent. I have had more than one person look at me funny when I told them I sold a Lexus to buy an Audi. Once people get in it, or just take a good look at it, they like it - but the name recognition just isn't there yet. I should talk - a year ago I never thought I would own an Audi - I just never considered it.

Luckily, I bought the car becase I wanted it and I'm very pleased with my purchase. I didn't want something too flashy and trendy (insert three letter acronym here) and I didn't think MB offered enough value for the money (besides, they are everywhere in my neighborhood!)

This is an outstanding car and it deserves all the praise it has been getting in the automotive press. It will just take a while for the general public to catch on.
Old 07-29-2003, 01:42 AM

Default If IMAGE is everything

in purchasing an A8, then one is missing the point of what this vehicle truly represents. MB and BMW have become pretentious symbols of wealth and status, and I am a former 7 series owner (11 months) and better yet perhaps to even hope the A8 represents anything at all is pretentious and rather sad in and of itself...yet the A8 is truly beautifully understated. Even with the redesign, there is a masculine yet muted quality about the lines.

The A8 I believe represents a finer appreciation and understanding of quality, performance and elegance. Simply put, it is meant for those "in the know". You needn't the excess of prestige and the adornment of a few badge and brand seekers, yet the veneration of the most important person of all, yourself.

When in doubt, the likes of BMW will appease you, when you know, you drive an A8.
Old 07-29-2003, 05:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default it says you know cars, but don't care about the brand value

we all know mb and bmw are leagues above audi in brand value, prestige and resale. fact is audi is still a vw, and mb and bmw sales people play that up. doesn't help when you go to get audi parts and see that vw logo, or when we experience the infamous audi dealer "service."

audi is almost caught up with the product for sure (i love my 2000 a8 and wouldn't trade for a 2000 S class or 7 series), but they're still on a much lower level when it comes to the aftermarket ownership experience. ok, i'm ranting.

bottom line, in my opinion, it says you know your cars, are an enthusiast, and value the car itself more than the brand status.
Old 07-29-2003, 05:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Default I agree with ultradub- I buy and drive a car to please ME, not the world around me....

And the A8 does an exceptional job of pleasing me. I think that a lot of people buy BMWs, MBs, and Lexuses not because they know or appreciate the car from a technology or drivability standpoint, but to make a "statement" to the world that they have "made" it. (Certainly there are owners of these cars that this doesn't apply to.) However, it is my experience that the people that need to make a statement haven't really "made" it, and are perhaps insecure in their accomplishments- thus the need for a statement car/automobile/boat (fill in the blank). I think that the A8 appeals to a customer that appreciates and understands the underlying technology and doesn't need to make a flashy statement when they arrive at their destination. They appreciate the performance, luxury, and build quality of an A8 over any need to make a statement.
(A debadged A8 is understating the understated, IMO.)
Old 07-29-2003, 05:52 AM
Elder Member

Well said.
Old 07-29-2003, 08:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Says my other car is a Rallye Car.. LOL j/k

The A8 is the uber trangressor in all weather and surfaces.

Its also rare! I like that.. When Audi becomes like BMW and MB with drones driving clones, I'll be disappointed.
Old 07-29-2003, 08:23 AM

What would Freud say about this
Old 07-29-2003, 05:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts
Default You recognize the finest engineering available in a production

automobile. You appreciate a refined driving experience more than marketing hype. You're choice of automobile is about driving, not market share.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I get props on my S8 all the time. Just this weekend I was in Ocean City MD in stop'n go traffic. At some point or another, at least 4 people waved and said something on the order of "wow, what an awesome car".

Yes, it is! (you won't be surpised that I am a former NeXTStep and now Mac OSX advocate as well. Only the best in engineering gets my vocal support)

JB

Quick Reply: Building on the thread by Puzz1, what do you think the A8/S8 says about you?