A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Building on the thread by Puzz1, what do you think the A8/S8 says about you?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2003, 08:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What do other people think about you because you drive the A8?

Most of you guys missed the point of Chucklane's question. He's not asking what you think of yourself for buying an A8. Of course you think all kinds of good things about yourself for whatever you do. Chucklane wants to know what other people think of you because you drive an A8.

Let me give an example. BMW pretty much means "*******" all around the USA, perhaps a long term after-effect of 1980's yuppie conspicuous consumption. (Popular joke: what's the difference between a BMW and a porcupine? In one, the ****** are on the outside.) Ford Crown Victoria means "WWII vet". Accord/Camry means "makes reasonable choices". Hummer means "takes more than your share". Subaru means "cultish fuddy duddy". Red sports car means "midlife crisis". That's simply what most people in the USA are going to think of you, and there's nothing you can do about it.

So what do people think of a person who drives the Audi A8? I'm not sure about this one, but I'd guess that most people think that Audi's are expensive and unreliable, kind of like a poor man's BMW with a long history of recalls and legal troubles. They don't know the difference between the different trim lines, so they won't know that the A8 is the top-of-the-line or that it has an awesome all-aluminum space frame. So probably it would be a bit of a sleeper to most people here in the USA. So they'd probably think that you were an insecure person who couldn't be happy with an everyday Accord/Camry but just couldn't afford a BMW/Merc/Lexus.

I don't really know the answer to this question for the A8, I'm just guessing here. The best answer is to ask someone who doesn't know that you drive an Audi, so you can get an honest answer.