A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can't do window tinting on the rear window because the stupid rear headrests wont come out!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2003, 11:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Can't do window tinting on the rear window because the stupid rear headrests wont come out!!!!

How did Audi miss this obvious feature. They telescope up and down but do not have enough clearance to come out (they hit the ceiling). Maybe I'm missing something but I'm usually pretty mechanically inclined and can't figure out why they don't come out. Therefore my tint guy (actually a girl in this case) cant get back there with the squeegie to smooth out the bubbles etc... and the last 2 to 3 inches at the bottom of the rear window are right up against the third tail light deck, that coupled with such a steep window makes it impossible for her to do the job.

Heeeelp
Old 07-09-2003, 12:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts
Default They have to come out

However, I can't help you with how to get them out! Don't worry, the Bently will be out in another 5 years!

I know, a bad joke.

pw
Old 07-09-2003, 12:47 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

That's all you have for me is "They have to come out"....sheesh
Old 07-09-2003, 01:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Didn't it come with the "shades"? Why tint the rear then? Leave it up all the time....

I know it's not the right solution but....
Old 07-09-2003, 02:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I don't know how they come out, but I saw a beautifully tinted northern blue at my dealer...

They had it out on the showroom...and tried to sell it to me...ended up with my new 4.2. Tint looked perfect and very good on that color.
Old 07-09-2003, 02:24 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mine is at the dealer being tinted right now...

I'll post some pictures and let you know how it comes out. The dealer (Pacific Audi) is tinting most of the cars they have. I've seen several tinted A8s and they look great.

Kent
Old 07-09-2003, 02:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Pacific in Torrance? That's MY dealer. :) Which A8 did you get? The tint

guy they use is really good. If you don't mind the question...what kind of deal did you get (be honest now )? Congrats on a great car. Only problem I have with Pacific is that they put Lojack, paint protection and tint on almost every car on the lot. It's just to jack up the profit. I got a great deal on my 4.2 (year-end, etc.) and got a price that essentially threw those items in. Lojack and paint prot. are useless on a leased car!
Old 07-09-2003, 05:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: That's all you have for me is "They have to come out"....sheesh

Pots, they went in so they have to come out! Unless there is a locking mechanism that holds them once they are in.. Im going to my dealer tomorrow to figure this one out!! Your tint job looks great. 20%?

greenie

04A8L silver/sabre 19" wheels Aug. del (unless its already here and running around Chicago, in which case Im going to "divert MB`s car!)
Old 07-09-2003, 05:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: Mine is at the dealer being tinted right now...

Did they tint your rear window?

greenie

04 A8L silver/sabre 19" wheels Aug. del.
Old 07-09-2003, 05:27 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default no, they couldn't cus they couldn't get the headrests out and ....

the bottom two inches of the rear window is unreachable. I guess you could tint it as far as you can but I'm not sure how it would look. I'd love to see your's when it's done....Pics please.

Quick Reply: Can't do window tinting on the rear window because the stupid rear headrests wont come out!!!!