A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car just DIED... in the rain...

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2006, 07:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car just DIED... in the rain...

GF wanted to drive the car. We (very tamely) drove for a couple of miles to the video store. Pull into the lot, I run into the store, come back out and she says, "it just putt... putt... died."

I try to restart, SEEM to have plenty of battery, but it won't catch. Dash display seems to light up a bit more slowly, though. I let it sit for a bit and it alllllllmost starts. I run the diag button, but it comes up "OK." No error lights or messages anywhere. Even tried locking, waiting and returning... no difference.

Called for the flatbed and they took it to shop near GF's that works on her VW and has an "Audi guy." Am going to have them pull codes first and call before digging deeper.

Could this be a G28 Engine Speed Sensor issue? (see my earlier posts re: strange trans. behavior in rain)

I would bet good money that it HAS to do with the rain... somehow.

Thoughts??
Old 01-08-2006, 08:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default I agree, sounds like wetness and an electrical issue is to blame. Once the codes are listed ....

.... help is right here.

Good luck,
Old 01-08-2006, 09:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Clogged cowl drains forced rainwater into your ECU? Wouldn't be the first time.
Old 01-09-2006, 07:18 AM

could be the bad immobilizer's wire insulation issue.
Old 01-09-2006, 10:46 AM

Default THEY SAY... TPS is causing ECU to quit... & fuel pump is dead. NEED YOUR THOUGHTS.

Mechanic said over the phone that fuel pump is dead. Said that there would be no associated code and that car isn't getting fuel.

Says that only codes are "P0121 B" and that TPS is "causing the ECM to quit working."

They say those are the first two things to look at, but that it might not be a guaranteed fix.

They say pump with fuel filter & gaskets is $900 + labor (and no alternative available) & that TPS is $375 + labor.

Nearby Audi dealer says fuel pump "kit" + labor is ~$940 & TPS is $285 + 1 or 2 hrs. labor. BUT... the dealer service guy said, "check the fuel pump relay first."
Old 01-09-2006, 12:08 PM
KMU

Default I've never heard of the tps "causing the ecu to quit". I would pursue the fuel

pump/relay as most likely cause.
Old 01-09-2006, 12:19 PM
KMU

Default On second thought, I've heard of a wide open throttle signal on cranking

putting the fuel program in "clear-flood" mode, which is too lean to start. That signal should be easily read with Vag-com or scanner, and should be able to be diagnosed without replacing a part as a guess.
Old 01-09-2006, 12:29 PM

Default Tech says when he "steps on it," the diag screen goes blank. TPS is physically shorted.

Apparently, the diag tool says 183 RPM(?) at idle, but when he pushes down accelerator, the diagnostic fields for all components go blank. Also, there was a "P0121 B" code.

He said he traced it back and there is an actual short at the TPS. He SAYS that could have been causing my zoom up/down transmission in the rain, too.
Old 01-09-2006, 12:33 PM

Default Fuel pump. Tech says he gets power & ground all the way to the closest point...

that he can reach without taking out the fuel pump. Says he always "covers every base" on such things.

Unless you guys know of anything else that could be inline?

Now, once I commit to the fuel pump replacement, I feel like asking him, "OK, pull the pump, test it on the bench and THEN order the new one." I figure the most I'd be out is labor, then. Right??
Old 01-09-2006, 12:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default It could be 3 things.

1; G28 engine speed sensor.
2; fuel pump relay.
3; ignition switch.
All 3 happened to my car causing the same symptoms.

Quick Reply: Car just DIED... in the rain...