A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car overheating at idle

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2020, 09:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Car overheating at idle

I just changed timing belt, water pump and thermostat with OEM new.

I've noticed when my car is idling at stop it will start to get hot. The temp gauge won't hit the red, but it will come about 1cm from the red line. Whereas when I'm driving the needle will stay left of center gauge, much cooler.

Isn't it also supposed to stay at the same temp more or less when I'm stopped as when I'm driving? Outside temp is 107-109 F

idling at stop after 15min

driving on highway
Old 07-18-2020, 12:20 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 87 Likes on 77 Posts

See if the viscous fan is a lot harder to turn by hand after the engine is hot (engine off) than cold.
There is also the "magazine test" where you see if you can stop the fan from turning with a rolled-up magazine, it's a bit rude.
Old 07-18-2020, 07:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jfrahm
See if the viscous fan is a lot harder to turn by hand after the engine is hot (engine off) than cold.
There is also the "magazine test" where you see if you can stop the fan from turning with a rolled-up magazine, it's a bit rude.
So the viscous fan does seem to be harder to turn by hand after the engine is at temperature, rather than cold. But I wouldn't say "a lot." It just seems a bit harder. It's pretty stiff either way hot or cold. It's a brand new duralast fan clutch. I replaced it 3 weeks ago.

Thanks a lot for your help by the way.

Hey...what about the Auxiliary fan?? Could this be the problem? Could mine be weak or bad? How can you tell? But mine seems to spin freely and there doesn't appear to be any strange noises or bearing play in it.

Last edited by Victor Vaughn; 07-18-2020 at 07:25 PM.
Old 07-19-2020, 03:24 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Is it blasting away when idling with the AC on?
Old 07-19-2020, 10:50 AM
Banned

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Victor Vaughn
It's a brand new duralast fan clutch. I replaced it 3 weeks ago.
That's your mistake buying neverlast junk from AZ! I use to work in a repair shop and they mainly used parts from AZ and they seems to always have problems and the customer would come back because the neverlast parts fail so it gets warrantied out or buy from a different auto parts store supplier. It's best to buy OEM parts as your likely to have less issues with it later down the road.
Old 07-20-2020, 06:19 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Recently got stuck waiting for a flagger and saw my temp gauge go about as high as yours idling with the AC on. Only 90F outside at the time.
Old 07-22-2020, 05:50 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Recently got stuck waiting for a flagger and saw my temp gauge go about as high as yours idling with the AC on. Only 90F outside at the time.
Aside from this specific situation, have you ever seen your gauge cross over into the second half? I've had two accounts recently (during 90+ degree days) where my gauge has crossed over the normal operating range, and it was with the A/C on (level 2 fan speed) during idle. I haven't noticed, nor intentionally attempted to let my car idle without the A/C on in order to find out if it will still overheat. If I do test it within the next couple of days, I'll report back my findings.
Old 07-23-2020, 06:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I also support investigating the airflow (fans). Going down the highway the motion of the vehicle pushes air through the radiator.

Old 07-23-2020, 08:27 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by A8 Ronin
Aside from this specific situation, have you ever seen your gauge cross over into the second half?
I have not noticed in the A8, have not really looked. My other cars run up to 3/4 in traffic with the AC blasting so I'd seem pretty normal. I will check the S8 one of these days.
The following users liked this post:
A8 Ronin (07-23-2020)
Old 07-24-2020, 08:09 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have not noticed in the A8, have not really looked. My other cars run up to 3/4 in traffic with the AC blasting so I'd seem pretty normal. I will check the S8 one of these days.
I sat in a parking lot for 32 minutes idling (without the A/C) and the gauge didn't budge even a millimeter. Some aspect relating to the A/C being on has to be the culprit.

Quick Reply: Car overheating at idle