A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car overheating at idle

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2020, 07:28 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by A8 Ronin
I sat in a parking lot for 32 minutes idling (without the A/C) and the gauge didn't budge even a millimeter. Some aspect relating to the A/C being on has to be the culprit.
If you sit in the direct sun in Texas while it's 102 with humidity of 50 percent or greater idling for extended periods the temp will go up..
The following users liked this post:
A8 Ronin (07-29-2020)
Old 08-05-2020, 12:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

SOLVED. I replaced the auxiliary fan and this issue hasn't happened since. Thanks.
Old 08-06-2020, 08:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default aux fan melted then started smoking, then caught a little fire.

So I have an aftermarket VDO aux fan. Was working ok this morning. Went through a car was, ran some errands. Later in the day I noticed the car started to get hot at idle, like it did before I replaced the aux fan. Then I noticed smoke coming from the engine bay. Aux fan blade assembly had literally melted off the spindle, Smoke poring out. Hot as hell. I disconnected the battery and pored water on the whole fan. Took a good long while--30min for the smoke to stop.

What on earth is going on?

Last edited by Victor Vaughn; 08-06-2020 at 08:44 PM. Reason: gyu
Old 08-12-2020, 08:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by jfrahm
I have not noticed in the A8, have not really looked. My other cars run up to 3/4 in traffic with the AC blasting so I'd seem pretty normal. I will check the S8 one of these days.
What was the outside air temp when this happened?
Old 08-12-2020, 08:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

I sat in a parking lot for 32 minutes idling (without the A/C) and the gauge didn't budge even a millimeter. Some aspect relating to the A/C being on has to be the culprit.

In my a8 owners manual, it says that the temp gauge can go up in hot weather or when the engine is working hard, and it specifically says not to be alarmed, and that this is normal. But it doesn't say anything about specific temperature ranges or needle ranges. Which is a shame because even if it is "normal" it is still disconcerting. I don't want my car to overheat when I'm driving down a desert road in AZ when the temperature is 115 degrees...
Old 08-12-2020, 06:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default NOT SOLVED!

So, this thing is still happening! I have a new fan clutch OEM, new Aux fan OEM, both are blowing like crazy. Outside temps here in AZ are 111-112 degree F. This is what my temp gauge read after I drove for 30 and then parked the car for 15min and then started the car up again. This can't be normal, can it??? I don't THINK so, because every other car I've had pegs the needle in the middle even in really hot outside temps unless something is seriously wrong with the cooling. If Audi designed this needle to act this way even when things were OK then they set things up for a lot of anxious owners!

The owners manual says that even when things are normal, the needle "may also go further to the right, but this is no cause for concern..." ??? REALLY?! Come on man.

I just put a new thermostat in that I got from the dealer. It was installed perfectly, I've done this many times before. Anyone have any ideas?

Old 08-12-2020, 06:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

I'm going to see if I somehow had air in the system the whole time. I'll be bleeding this week...
Old 08-13-2020, 02:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Coolant temp at 115 degrees celcius

This according to my VAG-COM. What is going on????

Old 08-14-2020, 05:01 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Victor Vaughn

In my a8 owners manual, it says that the temp gauge can go up in hot weather or when the engine is working hard, and it specifically says not to be alarmed, and that this is normal. But it doesn't say anything about specific temperature ranges or needle ranges. Which is a shame because even if it is "normal" it is still disconcerting. I don't want my car to overheat when I'm driving down a desert road in AZ when the temperature is 115 degrees...
It was in the 80's when I did my test. The picture you posted of your gauge is really high, and I'd personally be concerned if it were my car. I haven't seen mine go that far right, but there's no way any sane person wouldn't be alarmed. I haven't seen the coolant light flash, like the owner's manual states, and my coolant level is adequate.

Has your car thrown any CEL's or thrown off any other warning light when the temperature gauge reached that high?
Old 08-14-2020, 05:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

It was in the 80's when I did my test. The picture you posted of your gauge is really high, and I'd personally be concerned if it were my car. I haven't seen mine go that far right, but there's no way any sane person wouldn't be alarmed. I haven't seen the coolant light flash, like the owner's manual states, and my coolant level is adequate.

Has your car thrown any CEL's or thrown off any other warning light when the temperature gauge reached that high?
Thanks for the reply. No, there has never been any CELs or warning lights of any kind. I really wish there was an objective standard to go by for all this stuff. I mean, is there any info anywhere that will tell me whether or not 115 degrees C is OK or not OK for my car at idle?? Is there ANY info anywhere about operating temperature ranges? That would help.
The following users liked this post:
A8 Ronin (08-17-2020)

Quick Reply: Car overheating at idle