A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

car won't start... brake switch code?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2008, 09:26 AM
SCL
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default car won't start... brake switch code?

It stalled in my garage, now it won't start at all. The only codes I get are intermittent oxygen sensor and this one:

Address 02: Auto Trans
Control Module Part Number: 4D0 927 156 BH
Component and/or Version: AG5 01L 4.2l4V RdW 1313
Software Coding: 00011
Work Shop Code: WSC 00000
1 Fault Found:

17087 - Brake Switch (F): Electrical Malfunction
P0703 - 35-00 - -

Funny thing happened. I needed to work on the RR brake. I jacked it up, took the tire off to inspect it. A few minutes later I got in and started it up with my foot on the brake. With my foot on the brake, I put it in drive. It stalled when I put it in gear, kinda like the fuel was suddenly cut off. I thought that was odd, so after I fixed the brake, I put everything back together... and it still won't start. And now I see this brake code. Is it related?
Old 07-22-2008, 11:01 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default That code is not related.

You just need to have your foot on the brake (again) when the Vag-Com cable is plugged in and you turn the ignition on.
I'm not sure about the stalling thing though...
Old 07-22-2008, 06:05 PM
SCL
AudiWorld Member

Default Still won't start.. Getting stumped.

I'm really stumped. It's been running perfectly. I drove it into the garage, jacked up the RR, stepped on the brake and started the engine and put it into gear. (not sure if the wheel would have turned, but I was trying to check for a noise). It almost immediately stalled out. Now it won't start. The starter turns, but the engine won't fire. The Tachometer is at 0 while turning the key... I don't remember if this is normal or if this is an indication that I have no ignition.

I also noticed that with the transmission in park, and only the RR off the ground, I can turn the wheel as though the transmission is in neutral. The drive shaft is turning when I turn the tire by hand...even though the Transmission is in Park. Is THAT normal? --

It just seems like it's too much of a coincidence that I begin some maintenance, and run the engine with one wheel jacked up, and now it won't start.

What could have happened? A coincidence? If so, is there a diag link to troubleshoot a no-start problem? And what about being able to turn the rear wheel while the car is in park??
Old 07-22-2008, 06:10 PM
SCL
AudiWorld Member

OK, thanks. Only other code was intermittent O2 sensor...
Old 07-22-2008, 06:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I would check if there is fuel pressure at the fuel rail. You can turn the rear wheel in park.
Old 07-22-2008, 07:32 PM
SCL
AudiWorld Member

Default thanks... seems as if there is no fuel. I've been reading about relay failures...fuel relay or a

system power relay? Could that be it? I suppose I can guess that it's fuel and check the pressure, then follow it from there.

So the rear driveshaft can spin with the Auto Transmission in PARK? Does the Parking pin only stop the front diff??
Old 07-22-2008, 07:34 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default OK, after looking at Tozo's post, I have a wacky theory.

If, big IF, your fuel tank was low, and you had your RR jacked up, would it not be possible that the fuel pump was pumping air, thereby creating an air lock in your fuel line? Maybe, after checking the fuel rail as Tozo says, keep trying to start it (using short intervals) and maybe the air lock would work itself out?? Maybe it's the Boddingtons beer (mmmm) doing the thinking, but it's worth a shot. But the burning question remains, how low was the fuel?
Old 07-22-2008, 07:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes the parking pin is for the front only.
Old 07-22-2008, 10:00 PM
SCL
AudiWorld Member

Default New Info! It was/is the fuel pump fuse...but it blows again just after the engine starts :-/ so...

What would cause that? I did have a jack stand placed next to the RR jacking point, with a small piece of 2x4 wood -- It's there just for safety as I usually do, but I did allow the weight of the car on it for a few seconds. Is the fuel pump wire there by any chance? maybe it got cut or crimped?

I definitely heard the fuel pump come on after I replaced the fuse and turned the key forward... but then after the engine started, I saw the flash as the fuse popped. This can't be a coincidence. How did jacking the RR cause a short to the fuel pump? Maybe extending the suspension completely pulled on something??

any more ideas given this new fascinating information? ;-)
Old 07-22-2008, 10:02 PM
SCL
AudiWorld Member

not a bad theory...but now I know it's electrical... and the tank is 3/4 full. now what??

Quick Reply: car won't start... brake switch code?