A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Center Rear Window Brake Light

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2006, 06:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Center Rear Window Brake Light

Just wondering if anyone has actually replaced one of the four bulbs in the rear window center brake light? I found on Audipages the procedure and my mechaninc had the same information in front of him. He and two other mechanincs (very good ones)were totally stumped as to how to remove this piece to get at the bulb.

If anyone has actual experience doing this let me know if there's a trick to it or something we're posibly overlooking?

My particular Audi is equipped with the Summer Package and has an electronic window shade. That being the case, it may be a bit different from other Audi rear panels that don't have the shade option.

Hope to hear from anyone about this.
Thanks!

dommi3/Sausalito, California
1997 A8 4.2 Quattro Silver/Gray
Every Available Option
Old 08-29-2006, 01:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default The cover slides back toward front of car but first pop up the rear shelf-easy

have replaced 2 bulbs
Old 08-29-2006, 07:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: The cover slides back toward front of car but first pop up the rear shelf-easy

Can you be a little more specific as to how to pop up the rear shelf? As I said, Three very good mechanincs were totaly stumped. tI even forgot to mention in my original post that the local Audi dealer also didn't have a clue as to how to get to this stinking light bulb. I hope you're right and it is easy. It should be, it's replacing a brake light bulb for god sakes, how hard can that be? But then again, I had to have my entire intake manifold removed yesterday to get to a couple of oil breather rubber hoses (about 8 inces in length each of at the tune of neary 100 dollars per hose plus several hours of labor). Some of things on this car in my opinion are not too logical and there always seems to be highway robbery involved. Dished out over a grand just yesterday for those two little hoses to be replaced. Anyway, I hope I'm not going to have to remove the back seats to get the back shelf up am I ? Any more specific information on how to ge the back shelf off would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you, I appreciate it.

dommi3/Sausalito, California
1997 A8 4.2 Quattro/Silver/Gray
Every Available Option
Old 08-29-2006, 10:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

just carefully lever the shelf upward-you got mail