A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To change my own timing belt or not?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2002, 08:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts
Default To change my own timing belt or not?

So my car has 69K on the clock, and it's time to do the timing belt. Let's see, after all the recent talk about incompetence with the dealers lately, I'm scared to bring it to them.

I know I would love to hate to do this job. During it I would probably curse and yell, but after it is done I would be proud of what I did. I would also know it was done right.

I could also take lots pictures and prepare a procedure for all of those who would like to tackle the job, similiar to the one John Griffin and myself did on the A8 valve cover replacement. Could be a lot of help to DIY's on the list.

I imagine all of the parts would be about $500-600, I would replace the plugs, air filter, oil, TB, tensioners, water pump, etc. I'd have to figure out what to replace. I would also do the valve cover gaskets too. Probably save at least $1,000 in labor if not more.

I think I would get a rental car for a few days while doing it so I could leave my car, being it is the only one I have.

Any thoughts?

pw
Old 07-11-2002, 10:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Was reading about the new A8 4.2 engine - timing chain versus timing belt

The new quattro quarterly states that the new A8 engine has a timing belt versus timing chain, it's at the back of the engine versus the forward part of the engine.

This has allowed them to shorten the engine to 464 mm in length, to put it in perspective, the BMW 540i V8 engine is 656 mm in length, an extra 192 mm over the new 4.2 engine!

Thank goodness that they got rid of that darn timing belt.
Old 07-11-2002, 12:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Don't Forget To Replace The Water Pump At The Same Time

No matter if you do it yourself or if the dealer does. BTW, I was under the impression that the service is due at 90K on the A8. I had mine done @ 100K. I know I took a chance but the car had nearly all road miles and was only a couple years old at the time so I felt getting another 10K on the belt would be fine, which it was.

I don't know how handy you are but for me I had someone that really knew what the hell they were doing do the job.

Keep us posted!

dommi3/Tiburon, California
1997 A8 4.2 Silver/Gray
17" Audi A8 Wheels
All Available Options
-------------------------------------------------
Previous Audi

1990 V8 Quattro
Old 07-11-2002, 04:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Maybe....

The timing belt replacement procedure in the Bently manual as well as the procedure on Alldatadiy call for several special tools for alignment and tensioning of the timing belt. I would very seriously look into the availability of these special tools prior to taking on a job of this importance. As you likely know, the 4.2L V8 is an interference engine, and if for some reason you screw up the installation the resulting damage could be significant ($$$$$). I'm getting ready to have my timing belt replaced, and even though I do a lot of this type of work myself, I'm having an experienced independant Audi mechanic do the work. This way, if something goes wrong, I can hold the mechanic responsible and not end up holding the bag myself. It will cost me $$, but in this case I feel it is worth it. I'm also having the water pump, tensioner, serpentine belt, and any weeping oil seals replaced at the same time. I'm buying the parts myself and taking them to the mechanic since I can get them cheaper online than he would sell them to me. My '97 A8 is currently at 86,000 miles, so it is time for this service. If you decide to do this yourself Paul, please keep us all informed on your progress.
Old 07-11-2002, 06:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I would rent the tools from Blau....

Blau (in WI) rents the tools for the older V8's. I think it's the same engine and doesn't require any more special tools. I will have to look at the procedure to see if all the tools are covered.

I have done the timing belt on my 87 5KQ three times and the one on my 91 200q three times, the 91 was a real pain, and I've done a few other cars.

The only reason I would bring it to the dealer is to get the warranty and hold it to them. We'll see how crazy I am.

pw
Old 07-11-2002, 07:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default You can probably get further on it.......

AoA recomendations for the '97 was to do it at 90K miles.....I agree to do it early, but mine was done at a little over 70K miles, and after looking at it, I could have definitely gotten another 10K miles on it....now that I've sold it, I kind of regret doing it, would have rather pocketed the cash, oh well.....it's up to you, I wouldn't want to do it myself, but if you are confident to do it, go for it.....just remember that even the dealers who are supposed to know what they are doing screw up all the time, so be careful under there