A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changed 1 breather hose yesterday

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2003, 05:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changed 1 breather hose yesterday

Changed the breather hose that goes from the oil filler cap (drivers side valve cover)to the passengers side valve cover. The hose upon close inspection was completely cooked. This hose was very soft and was even braking apart!!! I thought I started to notice some (fresh) oil smell within the cabin lately, I hope this was the culprit and not the vale cover gaskets. My 8 has 57206 miles on it.

Has anyone attemped to change the other 2 breather hoses: one being under the throttle body and the other being close to the driver's side valve cover by the fire wall?
Old 02-17-2003, 11:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Default I've changed the front one myself, but the back ones look like a real PITA.

I haven't gone there yet. I know I'm only postponing the inevitable, but like going to the dentist, I tend to put it off untill I can't ignore it any longer. No real benefit in changing it before it really needs it.
Old 02-17-2003, 01:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Pre-emptivness is the key

My beleif with our 8's are to be preemptive and ahead of the curve with maintanence with these vehicles.

The drive's side breather hose has a notch on the hose that slides down into a slot on the actual valve cover then goes further down between the engine and the firewall. I would this a large amount of heat is generated in this area and that the inside of this hose gets cooked.

Opinion: I think it would be much easier to get to it from the bottom since the same spring clamp is holding the hose inplace down low? Any thoughts? The other breather hose under the throttle body IMO needs the entire throttle body assembly to be removed?
Old 02-17-2003, 02:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Default I agree that in most instances pre-emptivness is the key for these cars- eg. tranny fluid/filter

All other maintenance items should be performed on or before the Audi recommended intervals. However, these breather hoses on the back of the engine are not critical to the function of the engine, are not included in any scheduled maintenance (for replacement anyway), and will not cause irreprable damage to the vehicle if they leak. If you ignore the tranny filter, it will cost you big time, if you let the timing belt/waterpump/etc. go too long, same thing. But these hoses, if they leak, will only cause a stench and muck up the outside of the engine. If I were back there doing another job, I wouldn't hesitate to replace these hoses pre-emptively, but failing that, I'll get to it when I have to. If anyone has any info about the function of these hoses that would indicate they are critical to the function of the engine, please let me know! My assumption is that they only serve to equalize the pressures inside the block and valve covers, and to vent any excess gases to the emissions control system.
Old 02-17-2003, 03:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rear hose

Hey,

I changed the front myself. The rear was split. I took it to
my mechanic and had him change it. The throttle body
has to come off, and I didn't want to mess with it.

Barry