A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Check out Audi UKs newcar navigator for a nice bit of website interface design

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2002, 05:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check out Audi UKs newcar navigator for a nice bit of website interface design

<A HREF="http://www.audi.co.uk/newcars/" target="_blank">http://www.audi.co.uk/newcars/</A>
Old 05-09-2002, 07:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Now I know where you got your sig photo!

I noticed that the A8 on the web site showed the interior- with a MANUAL transmission shifter!! WHY can't Audi bring this to the US, at least in the S8???? An S8 with a 6 speed manual gear box would be beyond awesome!!!
Old 05-09-2002, 08:45 AM
Elder Member

Default Interesting ...

255/35-20 is the standard S8 tire, and I would have declined 10 of the "options" (including Servotronic steering) that are standard on the U.S. spec S8.
Old 05-10-2002, 01:09 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Say what?!?

A *manual* shifted A8? Yes, the 2.8 is available as a 5-speed, and the 2.5 TDI as 6-speed. The V8's never was, and they would have been an absolute depreciation record breaker over here. Would be impossible to get rid of. It would even beat the manual S8, which was bad. Manual shifts are for Hyundai's and such IMHO. Even manual 2.8's are hard to get rid of.

I mean, even the wild RS6 is auto only, and so will most future cars be, in one way or another. Even Formula one cars shift automatic if you want them to....

Guys, you americans _really_ are some strange creatures! :-)

Or could it be "cultural" differences? You are probably grown up with all kinds of auto-boxes (good and bad), and find manuals a bit "exotic"? We europeans are mostly grown up with stick shifts, and we generally want to throw them as far away as possible, at least in luxury cars. I find a manual A8 less appealing than an olive colored one with red velour interior...
Old 05-10-2002, 04:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts
Default Just got back from Italy and I want a stick!

Every car that I looked at had a manual gear box with exception of the A8 4.2's (only saw two, and a W12 - saw one), I love driving a stick shift! Only had a Golf with a 1.6 engine (I think).

I would kill to have a six speed manual in the A8....now that would be fun. I don't have tiptronic, that might make it more fun too.

I did see a few A8's with manuals, but they were the 2.4 diesels. There were so few gasoline engine cars in Italy, it was incredible.

Just got back last night, took a bunch of pictures of Audi's, will post them within a few days.

Paul (glad to be home)
Old 05-10-2002, 04:55 AM

Default soz KjellA, disagree :P

On some of it.

Manual is still better if your prepared to put the effort into driving, and the car can make it worth while. As for the A8? I think the 4.2 is the only engine with enough grunt to become fun (haven't driven the 3.7), and because of that the manual could add to that fun.

Yes this is all down to opion, if you love driving then its a trade off between fun and "getting from A&gt;B", and for normal A&gt;B, manual sucks.

Thats the reason I love my 8, its a Jekle and Hyde, one moment its silent through the city, or cruising at 130, the next you hit the country and rip up a couple of hot hatches. For the latter I would love to have that extra confidence in what the transmission is going to do, and to be able to start using the power for attitude adustments (ok that needs a traction ESP off button).

Oh what ever, mabee I just need a WRX/EvoVI, but I couldn't leave my serine cabin.

I better stop, I'm borring my self.
Old 05-10-2002, 06:18 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Tiptronic does make a huge difference

Totally agree, I wouldn't be so happy with the auto if I didn't have the tiptronic. And notice that there are differences in shift programs, my tip is *totally* manual, it basically won't shift if I don't tell it to. (except for downshift while stopping). That does make the whole difference I believe.
Old 05-10-2002, 06:25 AM
Elder Member

Default I agree with you, and ...

Welcome back!

For my S8, my preferences would be (in order),

1. 6-speed sequencial with paddle shifting (no torque converter)

2. 6-speed manual, available in Europe on both the 2.5 TDI and the S8

3. 6-speed Tip

4. 5-speed manual

5. 5-speed Tip

BTW, does anyone know the gear ratio's in that 6-speed manual ?
Old 05-10-2002, 06:44 AM

Default Ok, with that TIP setup mabee

You say your TIP is very manual and it only changes down. What happens at red line ? Because thats one of my problems with TIP/auto, you can't flutter it on the red line, it'll change up. Admittedly most of the times you want to do this is on a track, but there are times on the road, and having to **** about with gears on the limit is a pain [and yes I'm refering to having to change gear on an auto (TIP) as apose to not on a manual - weird concept].

If you can set TIP to rev-limit not change up, GREAT. I assume this is a VAG code.

One last thing. TIP-changes still sound a bit ****, but then thats probably just me, I prefer a clean manual change sound. Tis why I always let off the throtle as I change up (when I'm posing), sounds the dogs.
Old 05-10-2002, 10:12 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Yes, it hits the rev limiter, does not upshift

And that's what I love. I wouldn't be happy if it started to upshift on me while I was balancing through a corner on the grip and rev limits. Ouch!

BTW, it won't downshift on kickdown while in tip mode either, but I know some does. What's the point in a tip shift then? Also, it will allow me to downshift to 1st as long as it won't hit the rev limiter, and it will not upshift in 1st either.

Quick Reply: Check out Audi UKs newcar navigator for a nice bit of website interface design