A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chgo area track event

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2003, 08:01 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chgo area track event

For all the new and old raceheads here, there is a Chgo area Alpha Club event at Blackhawk Farms on Friday June 27th. As I understand it there are not nearly enough Alfa's to fill the event so anyone with a car is able to attend. This and the Fall Road America event are big fund raisers for the club.
Format details etc. are on the applications on the link below. Cost is $160 +$30 for rest of year Alfa membership.
BHF is a "quaint" very nice track about 15 minutes north of Rockford.
Having attended the Alfa Club RA event last year (as the only audi), if this is anything like that, there should be plenty of track time. This event and their RA event are two musts for me.
Also, FWIW, safety items not mandatory but (I think) a good idea for minimal safety at these events are: helmets, harness, and as much flame retardant clothing you can handle including gloves and shoes. Maybe even a fire extinguisher.
Anyhoo it woudl be great to pray for rain and see some more quattros out there<ul><li><a href="http://www.caroc.com/netscape.html">Alfa Club BHF Link</a></li></ul>
Old 04-29-2003, 08:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll probably won't be lapping there, but I wouldn't mind hanging out there...
Old 04-29-2003, 12:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts
Default Are you going?

If so, I would probably go, I even like the fact that it is one day and on a Friday.

Bill, talk me into it!
Old 04-29-2003, 01:10 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Yep!

Sent in my dough today.
I went to their fall Road America event last year and it was BIG fun Lotta corvettes and porsches. My stupid Avant even made the subsequent months Alfa newsletter cover I plan to do that event again this year too to try out my new six speed bigger sway bar and torsen diff. for the S6.
BHF is a shorter track but a real nice setting. I may drag the wife and kids along too, but that could take a little coaxing. Spectators do have alot of good closeup vantage points. I too like that its a one day friday event.
Could make for a nice picnic setting if you care to or they have a concession stand there too.
I happened to be there last sunday for SCCA event my neighbors spec 4 race car was in.
Anyhoo I'll be there so it'd be nice to see a bunch more quattro's
For me to it could be fun to just show up and watch, but there's a not so cheap thrill in going fast (legally) in a car that can handle it.
It's crazy that I havent done a quattro event yet, but surely will soon.
Old 04-29-2003, 01:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default It's a timing event, huh?

I've never been there (but will probably go see a race there on Sunday), so how much track time will you get? As always, I'm nervous thinking about it, but once I get out there I can't help but stand on it!

Is it an easy course to learn? You gonna ride with me to teach it to me?

pw
Old 04-29-2003, 05:52 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Ride with ya? Hell no!

Wahddya think I'm crazy? Dont answer that. I've read you were highly regarded though.
This would only be my second event. Prior to that several years ago Sony sent me to the Buck Baker school at Rockingham for 2 days of fun in a nascar. That was a blast though pretty much all I learned was how to deal with fear. Or really just uhmm ..tolerate it. I think Mario andretti once said "If youre not scared, your not going fast enough."
Ive never driven Blackhawk.
and youre exactly right youre nervous till you get out there. he he
They have timed laps but, everyone goes off at a good interval. My goal was always to try to catch the guy in front of me, but dont recall whether I did or not.
At the RA event we had some carnage. My report to the s-car list last year is linked below FWIW. My goal is to have fun and survive the day. ie not crash. And not have a breakdown.<ul><li><a href="http://www.audifans.com/pipermail/s-car-list/2002-September/005559.html">Fat Pig vs Sleek Italians</a></li></ul>
Old 04-29-2003, 08:34 PM

love that "report"... very fun to read....
Old 04-30-2003, 04:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Nice write up - You're Crazier than ME!
Old 04-30-2003, 05:28 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Thanks!