A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chrome moulding around side windows tarnished

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2004, 10:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chrome moulding around side windows tarnished

Hi A8 folks: I have a 2.7T A6 and the chrome moulding around side windows is tarnished, as well as the chrome moulding on the bottom of the trunk lid. I think there is some type of plastic coating on top of the chrome. Is there any type of polish / cleaner that someone has had sucess with to restore the original shine? Thanks in advance, Drew Hill
Old 09-14-2004, 12:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: Chrome moulding around side windows tarnished

I'm not sure those particular pieces are really chrome but some sort of plastic chrome and thus can't be "untarnished".
Old 09-14-2004, 03:08 PM

Default It's coated aluminum...

May not be polished sez the Audi manual. (In fact they say polishing (or pressure) causes the 'milky' tarnishing). So don't expect too much... However, if you come to the point of buying new trim anyway, there's no harm in trying first. But I think you'll need to polish all coating off (and then maybe re-coat). A rag and some polish won't do it though I'm afraid.
Old 09-15-2004, 04:24 AM

I am going to black out the entire chrome trims in my 97 Audi. I have found a product called "Black Out Tape" which is flexible enough to apply but fade and scratch resistant. Permanent bonding also. I will post pic after this weekend.
Old 09-15-2004, 05:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Re: blackout tape. That would be good to see. Hurry!
Old 09-15-2004, 05:52 AM

Is your A8 black? I can't envision any other color looking good with black trim.
Old 09-15-2004, 06:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Black trim is a USA option on A4's
Old 09-15-2004, 10:00 AM
Elder Member

And on European A8/S8's.
Old 09-16-2004, 04:34 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default If you find a solution, please post it here.

I've sure looked for one, and tried a lot of stuff, and haven't found it. Have the same issue with the roof rails on the A6 Avant.
Old 09-16-2004, 06:00 PM

Default Cause... and maybe a solution

<i>
Technical problem solution

Problem description: aluminum eloxy ornaments matt, discolored, milky.

Cause: the silver-colored ornaments and trim of the Audi models consist of pure aluminium (aluminium 99.9). The use of aluminum at and in the vehicle corresponds to the Audi philosophy and rises from the environmental protection thought, since during the production of conventional chrome trim, which environment is loaded unusually highly with pollutants and environmental poisons. The disposal of trim from pure aluminium is relatively problem-free, contrary to chromium-plated ornaments. During the production of aluminum eloxy borders the aluminum borders are first highly polished. Afterwards the aluminum border receives an eloxy protective layer by anodic oxidation. This anodized coat is a corrosion protection layer and has a thickness between 8 - 10 µm. This anodized coat is transparent. The anodized coat is relatively brittle and corresponds in the brittle for instance a ceramic(s) layer, i.e. if a border is bent it will develop fine hair-cracks on the border and the protective layer is thereby damaged. For the cleaning of the ornaments no polishing agents or alkaline and/or acid cleaning agents may be used, since these can damage the anodized coat. Please you consider to be absolutely used the processing references of the maintaining and cleaning agents for the vehicle preparation (like e.g. industrial cleaners). In carwash streets alkaline intensive cleaners are also used. Since these cleaners are highly concentrated, it is necessary to pay attention to a sufficient dilution with water. Therefore you must make sure that cleaning agents on the vehicle are rinsed off completely with water. This is important particularly on hot summer days, since the water dries relatively fast and residue parts of the cleaning agent remain sticking to the finish and cause damage. If the protective layer is damaged it comes to the white corrosion with aluminum (border starts to turn matte or is discoloured, milky). For the care of the aluminum eloxy trim please consider the care references in the manual of the vehicle.

Solution: replace damaged trim by new part.

</i>

That's a (translated) bit from the repair manual.

Also found a linky or two that may offer a solution.

<a href="http://www.irinfo.com/polish/html/polish.html">The Swift Method</a>

<a href="http://www.californiacustom.net/products/aluminum_deoxidizer/">Aluminum Deoxidizer</a>

Quick Reply: Chrome moulding around side windows tarnished