A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Climate control

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 01:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Sneaky McC
Hi Paul! How you doing Mister, its been a longtime. Yes, I have registered on that other site, it took a while to get the account activated. Then Silver here has been taking good care of me.

Silver, it alls seems to have come to nowt :-/ This guy has now said its the compressor thats the problem... Any ideas for my next move?
Well, probably not a Viking funeral yet. It depends on how much you like the car. A quick search shows about $500(330 UK)for a rebuilt compressor...plus labor and a recharge. Don't know if a cheaper repair is possible in your case.
Other than chasing down leaks and electrical problems that would prevent one from operating, I've had very little experience with AC compressors (never had one go bad).
It could make sense that a failing compressor might put out at motor way speeds (likely higher rpm), but not enough "umph" to cool at idle (?).
If you trust your AC guy and wanna keep the car, go for it. OR you could always list it for sale up in Inverness Shire, where one might not notice the problem
Old 07-10-2010, 10:42 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by silverd2
Well, probably not a Viking funeral yet. It depends on how much you like the car. A quick search shows about $500(330 UK)for a rebuilt compressor...plus labor and a recharge. Don't know if a cheaper repair is possible in your case.
Other than chasing down leaks and electrical problems that would prevent one from operating, I've had very little experience with AC compressors (never had one go bad).
It could make sense that a failing compressor might put out at motor way speeds (likely higher rpm), but not enough "umph" to cool at idle (?).
If you trust your AC guy and wanna keep the car, go for it.
He reckons the labour @ £400! Not sure whether to trust him any further TBH...

Originally Posted by silverd2
OR you could always list it for sale up in Inverness Shire, where one might not notice the problem

Fantastic advice, I really appreciate it.
Old 07-10-2010, 11:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

If that is labor ONLY, it sounds very high(?)
Old 07-10-2010, 03:20 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Yeah, he's telling me the whole front of the car needs to come out. I was going to ask PaulW rather than jack the car up take the under-tray off and have a look for myself.
Old 07-10-2010, 04:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I'm unfamiliar with the particulars of your car, so it could be true(?)

Many recommended methods of repair or replacement of various items on my Audi call for removal of the front end, which I've personally found unnecessary when performing the work myself. In many cases, I've found it's just for a little more clearance and a lot more $$ for labor.

I think it still comes down to trusting your mechanic...possibly a second opinion from another local man is in order (?)...to confirm that it is indeed a terminally ill compressor and the method of repair.

Hopefully someone here (PaulW?) has more hands on experience with the procedure and specific knowledge of your car.

Wish I could help more and good luck.
Old 07-11-2010, 07:49 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

You've been fantastic, you're a true Prince amongst men! [img]http://www.yamahar1.co.uk/pics/emotes/emotes/thankssign.gif[/[img]