A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Considering purchasing a used A8

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2001, 02:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Considering purchasing a used A8

i'm going to look at a used A8 in the next couple of days, a 4.2Q, 1998. what sort of problems should i be on the lookout for? what options are particularly desirable on these cars? (are there any options?) the asking price is $32990.

what kind of maintenance headaches can i expect from a car with 43K on the clock.

thanks from a prospective new owner.

jim harriger
duvall, wa
Old 06-27-2001, 06:09 PM

Default Seems like an awefully nice price

I wonder if anything is amiss.
Old 06-28-2001, 06:56 AM

Default yeah, but it's an ugly color :-)

maybe i should have mentioned that it is particularly unattractive color combo (at least to me, and maybe to others, maybe that's why it's cheap): its champagne outside, with ecru leather, just one great big cream-colored blob :-)
Old 06-28-2001, 08:03 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How many miles ? At a ( Audi ) dealer or private party ?

Go to the edmunds.com site for pricing info and other details.

The warm weather package is desireable in almost any climate.

Check leather for tears where the driver slides in and out. Check with your local dealer via the vin# to make sure that any recall issues have been handled. Any dealer can access any car if they have the vin#. Have a mechanic check front suspension bushings.
Old 06-28-2001, 08:42 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: How many miles ? At a ( Audi ) dealer or private party ?

April,

will th edealers provide copies of the service history? I checked and they gave me the "basic info" yes these services have been done. I would like to have service history if possible.

Jim,

I guess if you can get past the color for a long period of time that's your call. I recently picked up a 97' with 61K for lower $20's. I had some things checked out that where minor repairs less than $500. It has I believe all options, SSR, WWP, CWP, and phone. I don't know all th options available but I think it has everything availble. These are very nice cars handles well, smooth, good power, very safe, lots of room, and awd (I live in PNW). The are some real pain in the rears no real cup holders, e-brake and arm rest (must raise and lower arm rest to use e-brake), rear arm rear too low, trans quick down can be slow depending on rpm and speed, visability isn't great (rear head rests should retract like E-class, analog integrated phone is analog, and cell service in car sucks 1-2 bars in the car step out goes to 4 bars (April claims due to metal in window tinting).

hat
Old 06-28-2001, 08:50 AM

Default that's part of it...

Here's a reference point. My wife bought a used A8 with 26K for $36,000. That is from a dealer, Audi Assured. It is Dark Red/Ecru...a good looking car, but not a popular color.

Buying from a dealer gives you some piece of mind. My wife just got her A8 out of the shop (1 day) after a check engine light came on. Turns out there were some seal problems (if anyone remembers my leaking gas question...this was the cause), and they did some other stuff too (oil, filter, brake fluid, etc). The beauty is this was all free, and she got a free A4 loaner car.

So far so good with our local dealer. Now I just have to buy my S4 Avant....
Old 06-28-2001, 09:00 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default The dealer usually can't give out the detailed service history due to

privacy laws. All of the service records have the previous owner's personal info at the top. If you have a good relationship with the service writer, they can print out the records, block out the personal stuff, and then copy them for you.
Old 06-28-2001, 10:34 AM

Default What year?

The 98 is much more desireable that the 97.
Old 06-28-2001, 10:44 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: What year?

other than the tip why?
Old 06-28-2001, 10:47 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Slight suspension changes, engine efficiency up, etc. Even bigger improvements for 2000

Quick Reply: Considering purchasing a used A8