A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cont. of my transmission saga

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2004, 12:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cont. of my transmission saga

Got my car back with the brand new transmission last week. All is good, NOT. With in a couple of days started shifting really hard enough that the car would shudder when it shifted bad. Thought about taking it back to the dealer and desided that after the owner of the dealership promised that they would fix the car right and they did not it was time to take it someplace else. Took yesterday and today off and drove 250 miles each way so that a company that ZF recommended could look at it. So what did they find. Apparently the dealer techs did not reset the computer when they installed the new trans. and there were many many codes(yes I have them) the worst was the throttle posistion sensor was off by 15 degrees so cleared the codes and reset the throttle position and instantly all my problems gone. So for the one among you who desided to call my dealer previously and forward all my post for the past year don't worry this is going to get forwarded to the owner of the dealership and to Audi. Don't fret by Tuesday Audi and my dealship will have all the paperwork from today including what they found. We shall see what they do. I imagine that they will do nothing. We shall see. So I would like to reverse my posistion and highly not recomend my dealship for anything. Don't even stop in to use the restroom.

Brent
Old 03-12-2004, 01:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts
Default So clearing the codes fixed everything?

I'm surprised the tech didn't check for codes at the end.

I was not aware you could adapt the Throttle Positioner on our cars....but I could be wrong. I know on the A6 it's required.

pw
Old 03-12-2004, 01:30 PM

Default Excuse me. . . . I will drive 50 miles out of my way to use a car dealers

bathroom. . . they are always clean, smell nice. . and everyone smiles at you as you walk through the showroom, passed the salesman, to the restroom. . . in fact. . I have been known to "hangout" in these restrooms. . so please. . don't take one of life's pleasures away from me.
Old 03-12-2004, 01:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Time to ask Uwe and Andy if it can be done
Old 03-12-2004, 01:33 PM

Default This is what they wrote in the letter:

"Cleared codes and relearned control units. Test drove again and transmission is shifting good....... These codes are evidence that the battery has gone dead or are previous codes from the Trans. Replacement (This is a Big NO-NO "Thottle Angle Relearn")"

They apparently discounted the battery when replacing the trans. When I got the car back all my radio presents were gone.

Yes, clearing the codes did the trick. I have driven it about 300 rather spirtd miles since this morning and not one bad shift. So it looks like the problem is solved.
Old 03-12-2004, 01:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

You're scaring me, Mr. Ricco!!! ;-)
Old 03-12-2004, 01:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts
Default Well, congrats!

I don't know how much time I would waste with the dealer.....cool off for the weekend and enjoy your car!
Old 03-12-2004, 02:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Yes congratulations!! You have a NEW tranny and shes shifting GOOD A bit of a PITA, oh well
Old 03-12-2004, 05:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Good advice! Have fun, it ain't broke.. Yahoo!!!

I'm remembering Sara Lee... Didn't she/(he?) have shift roughness after replacement of the transmission in a D3? Seems you've tought us all a lesson about transmission replacement! Thanks muchly :-)
Old 03-12-2004, 05:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default doc, now that your tranny is working correctly, you may

REVERSE your position and thats o.k! Best wishes.

Quick Reply: Cont. of my transmission saga