A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Control Arm Kit for D2 S8

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2011, 12:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by A8CT
Meyle, OCAP and the kits from FCP Groton are not worth the time unboxing let alone installation. I've used all three and they're all 25-30k at most before they start making noise. Yeah, they'll all give you a one year warranty... big deal.

I would go OEM, maybe Febi Bilstein (testing those now). At LEAST go OEM on the uppers, that's most of the labor. The lowers are easy to swap out if you want to experiment.

Bob
I just want to throw in my $.02 on this one. I installed a complete set of Meyle control arms which I purchased through Blauparts. Unfortunately the kit came with two OCAPs for the front lowers. I don't know why they weren't Meyle's but oh well. I'm running about 40,000 miles on them so far with no problems.

Now, here is the catch: I modified every one of my control arms to accept a grease zert in each ball joint fitting. I pushed fresh GreenGrease through each one until I expelled the factory stuff. All I can say is that so far, being able to lube the joints at every oil change has payed dividends. I have some pictures on my other hard drive, but I can't get to it until next week.

In any case, I carefully used a magnet to hold onto any metal shavings and drilled into the back side of each ball joint. Then I installed grease zerts and secured them by dabbing 5min j-b weld around each one. The end result was pretty good if I do say so myself, and now unlike the stock control arms, I can grease mine.
Old 01-31-2011, 09:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

that's something I thought about doing but never did. I'm going to do this as well.

Can you post a pic? This would be a nice upgrade and will help extend the life of any of the arms, especially the ones that are installed upside down.
Old 02-06-2011, 12:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Here are the pics

All I can say is that patience is a virtue.... If you get crazy with the drill you might end up ruining a good set of control arms.

The first pic shows my experimental drilling on one of my old arms. Once I felt confident that I wasn't going to contaminate the new ball joints with a bunch of metal shavings I went ahead and took the plunge. The only thing that I did not take pictures of was how I applied the 5 minute J-B Weld around each zert before I installed the arms. Lets just say that the J-B Weld tapers away from the zert very nicely. A small flat bladed screwdriver worked excellent for applying the J-B Weld were I needed it.
Attached Images      
Old 02-06-2011, 12:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Here are the pics - 2

Second set of pictures....

Also remember that when you apply the grease, you're not trying to blow out the ball joint boot. Just apply enough so that you can see the boot just start to expand.
Attached Images