A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Control Arm Project (Special Tools Required?)

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 04:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Control Arm Project (Special Tools Required?)

My OCAP control arm kit arrived today. Oooh it's like new jewelery. I am planning to rebuild the front suspension on my '99 this weekend. I could not find Paul's instructions on audipages any longer. Maybe I'm losing it. Anyway, I have access to "On Demand," if you know what that is, and printed up all the instructions and figures with torque specs. etc. I see that a couple of special Audi tools are mentioned in the instructions. They look like pullers to separate ball joints from their home (3287a and T40010). I have a fork, if you know what I mean. It's a more brutal tool, but it does the job. My question is: Can I do this job without special tools? If I need any; which tools do I need? Thanks - Michael
Old 05-15-2008, 07:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Default The fork is fine to separate joints that you plan on replacing. Other than that......

the biggest problem for me as well as others was removing the long clamp bolt from the two top control arms. I had to drill mine out it was so rusted. Another thing to watch for are the spacers under two of the three studs attached to the top strut mount. Pat attention to their locations and don't lose them. Otherwise it's a straight forward job. Good luck!!!
Old 05-15-2008, 08:26 PM

Default Link to Audipages procedure

<ul><li><a href="http://www.audipages.com/Tech_Articles/susp_whls_brake_steer/controlarmreplace.html">Control Arms</a></li></ul>
Old 05-16-2008, 05:09 AM

Default I just put OCAPs on in March... so far so good...

You will need redundant open end/box wrenches in the 16-19mm size area.

Impact tools will speed along disassembly and reassembly if you are in control of the torque (ex. 3/8" drive impact wrench).

Have a magnetic pickup handy in case of dropped nuts-n-bolts.

Read up on the removal of the pinch bolt using a C-clamp. That method (which I heard about too late) :-( could save you a lot of aggravation.

Other than that, 2 jacks and 2 jackstands at a minimum are needed. Plus swear-jar and lots of beer for after. Sorry if I missed anything.

If it's your first time expect 7-8 liesurely hours.
Old 05-16-2008, 10:42 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Fork could not do it in my case, used bolt type fork separator.

Torquing the control arms while car is resting on it's own weight without a lift is difficult. I got lucky with the pinch bolts, they came out easy even after all that Quebec salt. Used the cutting of the frame rail bolt and reverse install trick. If you do have to use the bolt type fork separator most have an opening that is to small, we had to grind out the opening a bit. I would go with oem parts next time as mine are on their way out allready.
Old 05-16-2008, 08:15 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Oops, I meant to say "bolt type ball joint separator"

<ul><li><a href="http://www.zdmak.com/wbstore/main.asp">http://www.zdmak.com/wbstore/main.asp</a</li></ul>
Old 05-17-2008, 01:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Fork could not do it in my case, used bolt type fork separator.

Unfortunately, I got very unlucky with the long pinch bolt. Despite soaking it in penetrating oil for days and being as ginger as possible, the bolt head broke off. I caved in and took it to a mechanic. He had to heat the crap out of it and cut it, in the middle I believe, in order to punch it out. I gave him the go ahead to finish the job.