A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolant leak after tip install

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2004, 05:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant leak after tip install

Okay, just when I start getting excited about the car, something bad happens again. After starting the car for the first time after the tip install, I heard this weird pumping/leaky sound up front, but really didn't make anything of it. Didn't see any fluid, no indicator lights, and everything seamed to be running fine. After cruising for about fifteen minutes, I got the coolant warning light. For a few days it would happen intermittently when turning hard and I figured the level was just low and needed to be topped off. Now (1 week later)there is a puddle under the front right portion of the engine compartment.

I read through some posts and this appears to be a common problem with the 97 A8 (see link below), having to do with a leak in the oil filter/oil cooler. Looks like I'm in for some big repairs (I guess I'll have a chance to test out my extended warranty).

The question is, what do I need to do to ensure that this is the problem (i.e., are there any other less drastic solutions or quick fixes to less severe problems)? I have 65K miles on the car right now and have had the oft-reported whining noise from the engine on cold starts (reported by some to be caused by the water pump). Should I replace the water pump at the same time this service is done? Also, I imagine it would be worthwhile to change the timing belt while they're in there, despite only having 65K miles on the car.

Any recommendations to deal with this problem are welcomed. Has anyone had a substantial leak of this sort that was caused by something else.

Also, interesting that this all happenned immediately after my tip instal. BMWho recently reported a similar problem immediately after recoding his trans to 00011. Anybody have thoughts on this. I can't say I was really pushing the engine that hard on my test drive and in fact the leaky noise happend just after start up for the first time.<ul><li><a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/a8/msgs/19759.phtml">https://forums.audiworld.com/a8/msgs/19759.phtml</a</li></ul>
Old 04-09-2004, 06:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Most likely culprit is the oil cooler plastic pipe, but there are other possible....

causes. Head gasket (unlikely), water supply line to the oil cooler (runs from the back of the engine to the cooler, and is sealed with an O ring at the cooler, passenger side of the radiator. If you can, remove the lower engine shroud (under the car) and try to see where the leak is coming from- the oil cooler leak is VERY hard to trace. If it is indeed the plastic pipe in the cooler, you should do a complete timing belt job at the same time, since you will already be most of the way there. See the TB procedure on Audipages for instructions. Good luck!!
Old 04-10-2004, 06:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To be sure pressurize the coolant tank with a screw on pump.

if its the oil cooler you will see coolant leak form the right front of the engine.
Old 04-11-2004, 07:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts

Agreed, and it has nothing to do with the tiptronic......