A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolant leak, not running.

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2020, 05:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by audinutt
You keep stating this but this is completely wrong there is no ECU disable of the fuel pump I don't know who told you this information but it is 100% wrong.
The only thing that can prevent the car from running via the ECU is a immobilizer and it would run for a 1-2 seconds and then shut off..
there's no programming of the ECU to enable or disable the fuel pump, This is why your search for someone to do this has turned up with nothing.
Don't know who told me but I Just assumed immobilizer was in or part of the ecu. So what and where is it, the key chip? Or something else.
If the key, can I buy a key coder that doesn't cost $800 to $2000 and do it myself. I'm 100 miles from a dealer and locksmith. I do know the chip is in the key. How does it get reset?

Last edited by vicsvinyl; 12-15-2020 at 08:18 AM.
Old 12-15-2020, 05:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 87 Likes on 77 Posts

Is your car flashing the "key" light and starts-runs-dies every time you try to start it? If not, what is it doing?
The following users liked this post:
audinutt (12-15-2020)
Old 12-15-2020, 08:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Key light

Originally Posted by jfrahm
Is your car flashing the "key" light and starts-runs-dies every time you try to start it? If not, what is it doing?
Light is steady. Used to start then quit now no start, No fuel. I took off fuel line cranked it over nutin.
Old 12-15-2020, 08:50 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

You may have a bad fuel pup or be out of gas but if you also need to sort out the immobilizer that could be a bigger issue.
I suggest hotwiring the fuel pump to see if you get fuel. If not, add 1/2 gallon to full the fuel cup and try again. If still nothing then you probably need a fuel pump.
But: if you can't resolve the immo issue then maybe a bad fuel pump is not your biggest issue.

Have you tried the typical cluster reboot? Disconnect the wiring to the cluster and reconnect? That's what resolved the immo problem in my 2001.
If that does not work you might meed a full set of cluster, ECU and keyfob(s) from a part-out.

To get the cluster disconnected you can look up the procedure to install the gauge beauty rings on Audipages, it covers how to get the cluster out. You could also try instead leaving the battery disconnected for several hours, maybe short the cluster fuse to ground with the battery disconnected. I did not try that. It seems like a full power-down of the cluster is needed to restore function.
Old 12-26-2020, 08:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default H to reset immobiliser

Originally Posted by audinutt
You keep stating this but this is completely wrong there is no ECU disable of the fuel pump I don't know who told you this information but it is 100% wrong.
The only thing that can prevent the car from running via the ECU is a immobilizer and it would run for a 1-2 seconds and then shut off..
there's no programming of the ECU to enable or disable the fuel pump, This is why your search for someone to do this has turned up with nothing.
How does the immobiliser get reset?
Old 12-26-2020, 03:14 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

It doesn't trip like a mousetrap and then need to be reset. It just won't let the car start if it's misbehaving or if the key RFID chip does not match what's programmed.
The immobilizer RFID is different from the radio for remote lock/unlock, it's a little cylinder in the key shell that gets lit up by an antenna in the column and when lit up it sends out a coded signal that has to match what the car is expecting. If that does not work:
1 - The key shell is not the right one (maybe swapped to repair/replace a crusty old one, or the keys were lost and a replacement obtained but not yet paired)
2 - The gauge cluster needs to be unplugged/replugged to do whatever that does (worked for me)
3 - The antenna near the key switch needs attention (replugged, replaced)
4 - Key needs to be re-paired with the car
5 - Some sort of problem with the cluster or ECU