A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

On the cost-effectiveness of a proper VAG-COM - objective data only please

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2008, 12:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default On the cost-effectiveness of a proper VAG-COM - objective data only please

I am considering a Ross-Tech VAG-COM package and am hoping to conduct a little informal survey here. (I don't want to take up too much space - so a few words will suffice if you decide to respond.) I am interested in whether by relying on your trusty VAG-COM you were able to solve a problem which you otherwise would not have been able to solve. In other words, if you could have figured it out without the VAG-COM then it doesn't count. I'm trying to guage the cost-effectiveness of owning one, as opposed to the enjoyment, for example. If this seems like a newby question, well...it is. (Note that I did not post this thread to the VAG-COM forum precisely because I would like information only from A8/S8 owners). Thanks a bunch.
Old 06-17-2008, 12:09 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default If you are a DIYer you must have it - or at least a nearby buddy who has it.

Pay particular attention to Paul W, Tozo, Doug B almost invariably asking for codes when someone enters a plea for help. Hell, even if you ar not a DIYer you could avoid costly shams at the wrench by knoing the possible/likely cause of your problem via the codes and this invaluable community.

My $0.02

Mark
Old 06-17-2008, 12:28 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I have the Demo version and a cable and its done me pretty well...I also have VWTOOL

which is basically a freeware version of VAG-COM. If you arent a huge DIY-er this would be the way to go but if really want to delve into some issues, that would be a good investment. email me if you want VWTOOL. I think i still have an email with it attached. with these tools I can recode my tranny, check OBDII codes and clear them and even reset my service reminders. If you want to log and save stuff...buy VAGCOM.
Old 06-17-2008, 12:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Thanks guys, the replies are very much appreciated!

I'm using that "guy" term generically. You never know there might be some women who hang out here.
Old 06-17-2008, 01:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Well worth the $$

if you have any doubt, spend $20 to buy an Autonostics cable with serial port and use the free version of VAGCOM or VWTOOL. The non-RossTech cables can be a little flaky and frustrating.

If you like the product then pony up the $$ and upgrade to the real thing.

I can't imagine working on my cars without a tool like this, though I HAVE gotten by with the freeware version of each program....so far. All that will end when I eventually start working on newer Audis.
Old 06-17-2008, 01:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default If I go the route of playing with some freeware first then which dongle/connector should I buy?

There are piles of them on ebay, but I have heard that is not a good route to take.
Old 06-17-2008, 02:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I have this one and it works good.

If free ware doesn't cut it find someone w/ the full version or there are other ways...<ul><li><a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/USB-Vag-Com-Cable-Interface-Scanner-VW-Audi-VagCom-OBD2_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ43989QQihZ024QQite mZ370061538125QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW">http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/USB-Vag-Com-Cable-Interface-Sca
Old 06-17-2008, 05:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Never regretted my purchase. Its a great tool from reseting inspection reminders to repairs.
Old 06-18-2008, 04:34 AM

Get the real thing. Save the cheap tools for a Hyundai.
Old 06-18-2008, 05:34 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default It's all relative: next time you have an Engine Light On, what would you do?

Take to a trusted mechanic and have them diagnose at no-cost? If you have on, then you can do without VAG-COM. If you don't, and the only options are a fee-per-car-hookup, then it's worth the $ up-front.

Quick Reply: On the cost-effectiveness of a proper VAG-COM - objective data only please