A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

D2 '01-S8 - Dead Fuel Pump turns into NIGHTMARE...... (& Member Intro)

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 06:58 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ebay has the motor for about 800 shipped. sounds like a much cheaper alternative. I am thinking about buying a spare just to build on the bench, am I the only one who wants to see a monster a8? hehehehehe
Old 02-02-2012, 07:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Senko
ebay has the motor for about 800 shipped. sounds like a much cheaper alternative. I am thinking about buying a spare just to build on the bench, am I the only one who wants to see a monster a8? hehehehehe
show me a S8 motor for 800 shipped.... not an A8...

S8
Old 02-02-2012, 07:39 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I guess I am a complete noob here, but Why couldnt you use an a8 engine with your accessories? are they not the exact same 4.2?
Old 02-02-2012, 07:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Senko
I guess I am a complete noob here, but Why couldnt you use an a8 engine with your accessories? are they not the exact same 4.2?
A8 has about 300hp as oppose to the 360/317 that comes out of the S8.....

Looks the same on outside....very different on inside...either way I found a motor that is more complete for an even better price!!
Old 02-02-2012, 07:51 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I see, well that does make a big difference. Perhaps I should look at the changes the s8 had to make to my bench a8 motor. Call me crazy for wanting one of these cars with a bunch of tuning done to it. (and I have not even gotten to drive my a8 yet, it sits in the garage till my license is no longer suspended)
Old 02-02-2012, 08:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Just got a call from my mechanic... said dont do anything yet... wants to exactly tool all the timing and get it in order and see whats going on then....5% possibility

^^^

and thats why im bringing my car here......pray for me
Old 02-02-2012, 08:29 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Awesome I wish you luck!!! Hey worse case have the girl in your avatar go talk to them, they might knock a few hundred off the price hehehehe
Old 02-02-2012, 05:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by '01-S8
VIDEOS ADDED PLEASE VIEW

THE FIRST VIDEO OF IT STARTING IS IT NOT STARTING FOR ATLEAST A WEEK

SECOND VIDEO IS WHILE ITS WARMING UP CLOSE NOISES AROUND THE ENGINE

THIRD IS WHILE ENGINE IS GETTING TO OPERATING TEMPERATURE
-I TRY TO GIVE IT A LITTLE BIT OF THROTTLE AND IT TAKES 3 or 4 SECONDS TO START TO EVEN RAISE IDLE AND THEN STARTS TO RISE BUT NOT SMOOTHLY

- SHOWING 6 CYLINDER MISFIRES

- BEFORE I STARTED CAR IT SHOWED 6 MISFIRES AND CAMSHAFT SENSOR

http://youtu.be/VWRKyj--2fI

http://youtu.be/6SlLT9BSvDc

http://youtu.be/fMQIc9eM6Zk
NOT the source of misfires, but I noticed something in your videos:

In the first 2, your vacuum pods on the front of the manifold were NOT retracted...they should have retracted instantly upon start up and stay that way until around 5200 rpms, when they will both release...which changes intake from long to short intake runners (2 stage manifold on S8).

In the 3rd video, they finally retracted.

The pods should instantly re-inflate, allowing the levers to go back to rest position under their own spring tension, when you switch the engine off.

The most common problem here is sticking pivots, which can be fixed: (A8 has 3 stage, but same problems and repair procedure)

http://forums.quattroworld.com/a8/msgs/44689.phtml

With engine off, if you can turn the pivots by hand and only feel the spring tension AND they pop right back into place (under spring tension...no resistance), they are probably not sticking mechanically. In this case, so long as all vacuum lines and wires to these units are OK, they may not be getting signals from the ECU to activate the vacuum control valves(?)...indicating "MAYBE" an ECU issue, which affects everything.

Just make sure the pivots are turning free...you can carefully pop the ball joint fittings off the pivots only to check this. Something there was not NOT working properly in the videos, but may just be the common seizing problems in this component.
Old 02-03-2012, 04:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Its only running on 2 cylinders.... i dont think there is enough vacuum being created to move them... and after reading you write up on how to change those i knew you were going to point that out!!!

Once I tried to give it a little bit of throttle they instantly went in....
Old 02-10-2012, 09:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

seems like shes going under the knife.....

New motor with 60k miles & 6 month warranty....

new timing belt, chains, water pump, tensioners, pulleys...etc...

wish me luck!

Quick Reply: D2 '01-S8 - Dead Fuel Pump turns into NIGHTMARE...... (& Member Intro)