A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

D2 A8

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2012, 09:25 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default D2 A8

Hey guy I'm a newby to the A8 platform. I come from the B6 S4 family.... I was hoping you guys could point me to the right direction. I'm an active member on Audizine but their D2 A8 thread is dead. I am looking into getting into a D2 A8L there is one that I found but the transmission sounds like it need to be rebuilt. What should I expect out of her reliability wise? Any input would be appreciated...
Old 07-30-2012, 09:59 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I'm really new to the forum as well, and I tend to agree with you. There are a few members around here that really know their way around the cars.

The issue I think your going to run into is that lots of Audi people don't really know how to fix issues, they just point to the Bentley Manual. If you dont have one of those and a Vagcom, you're dead in the water. I do find it weird that with a 99 Audi the Bentley is still over $100...

I have a 99 A8Q with a torque converter thats is starting to act up, but still drives like a champ. Everything i've read on forums and tranny shops i've talked to will tell you that the valve body and torque coverters have issues, but the ZF trans as a whole is fairly robust as long as issues are not ignored or its not abused.

BTW - My 99 A8Q is listed for sale now fairly cheap, but i'm in NY so im sure that out of reach for you.

Hope this helps,
Brian
Old 07-30-2012, 10:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

The weakest part of the D2 is the transmission. You can do the search on D2 transmission on the forum. It starts out usually in the classic symptom of a thump when decelerating. I've had mine rebuild at 95K mark and she still drive great. Tozo has much more expertise in the trans field.

The D2 will give you great service if taken care of. Like all German cars, they have issues with their control arms wearing out. Overall my 99 4.2Q has been good to me. I just purchased a D3 W12 because of that, and I just hope the D3 can come close to the D2 in reliability.
Old 07-31-2012, 11:48 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

So I am looking at a 2000 A8L with "a bad transmission" this car was owned by a woman and she has all service records. She says that one day she got home and the car wouldn't move that transmission was out. What should I look for first?

Also are the rebuild kits for these transmissions that you veterans can recommend. I do the wrenching my self.
Old 07-31-2012, 01:02 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Also are there any rebuild kits that you can get to rebuild the transmission?

Thanks for any input!
Old 07-31-2012, 01:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by AudiPasha
Also are there any rebuild kits that you can get to rebuild the transmission?

Thanks for any input!
If you're lucky, the rebuild kit might include the failed part...maybe (likely?) not >>>

http://europeantransmissionscom.x-sh...roductid=16177

Next comes a repair manual.

Then comes the facilities, special tools and skills to do the job.

Auto trans's are the one thing that even most skilled mechanics don't touch. If you're up to it, more power to you.
Old 07-31-2012, 02:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

You need to google repair manuals and parts for a ZF 5HP24A transmission. As silverD2 said, this rebuild is not for the faint of heart. You need the facilities and a few special tools to complete this job.

Let me tell you from personal experience that the center driveshaft (prop shaft) even requires a special alignment tool to be reinstalled correctly after the transmission is removed/installed.

In my previous (non-Audi) transmission experience you would need a couple of slide hammer/pullers to remove the front pump case in order to access the internals.

I found a link where this guy has done exacly what you are proposing, check it out: http://www.motorgeek.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=46685
Old 07-31-2012, 02:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I have an 8 bay service facility at work and I did not try to rebuild this one. I got eurotransmission parts to do it since they are local to me. I guess it just depends on how skilled you are but as others have said, this is not your TH350 from the old days.
Old 07-31-2012, 03:44 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

WOW!!!!

So who would you guys recommend to do a rebuild?
Also how much does it cost?
Old 07-31-2012, 04:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Silverd2 link to europeantransmission is who rebuild mine for $3700 installed. That was probably about three years ago so I don't know the market price right now. You can take yours out and have it rebuild and then reinstall it. I just chose to let them do it all since they are not too far from where I live. They did a great job.

Quick Reply: D2 A8