A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

D2 S8 01 Cruise control question.

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 09:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default D2 S8 01 Cruise control question.

I just bought a 2001 S8, and the cruise control does not work. Should have tried it before I bought it, as this appears to be a PITA to track down and fix, and it's not cheap to have repaired at the dealer either.

I see folks talking about resistors that need to be resoldered, and some talking about replacing the switch.

Any thoughts on the S8? (The solder deal was on the A6's, but I'd think the parts are similar across the AUDI line.)

It does not come on at all. Nothing.

Also, anyone have a clue how to run the RNS d stereo? It's cool and all, but I just spent two days cursing it, as even radio operation was not simple, and for one day it played CD's out of the changer, but indicated no changer... (And I had zero control of the disks/music, it just played from start to finish on three CD's.)

It appears the RNS e is much more popular than the RSN d.

Thanks in advance for any help.
I have read PW's switch replacement instructions, and the A6 thread on how to solder the control module resistors, just wondering if there is any other tips or tricks to look out for.
Old 02-29-2012, 11:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts

The cruise control solder trick is an easy one. Did it on my son's Jetta, it worked the first time.
Old 02-29-2012, 11:26 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

When i did my repair i replaced the capacitors instead of just a resolder. On my cruise ECU it had already been resoldered once, so with the heat i guessed replacement of the capacitors was better. While i did it i took the stalk apart and cleaned and lubed the stalk switch. Works perfect and hasnt missed a beat since. Just ensure correct polarity of the capacitors, the easiest way is remember which side the writing is on them and solder them back the same way!
Old 02-29-2012, 04:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Since yours is a facelift you don't have anything to re-solder. You need to pop the stalk switch apart and clean it with contact cleaner and use some lithium grease when you put it back together.
Old 02-29-2012, 11:21 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ah electronic throttle... My mistake.
Old 03-11-2012, 12:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Okay, update on the cruise control!

I was reading on the A8/S8 boards over in England, and they reccomended to "abuse" my switches, as they are most likely just corroded, and with some cycles of the switch, will clean up, and start working. (And since I was going to replace the stalk, or have to pull it apart as Tozo reccomended, I figured why not try?)

So, it took nearly 40 miles of driving, while pushing, clicking and moving the switches for the cruise control. Accidently hit the bright litghts a few times, so other drivers might have wondered WTF? But the short story is, about half way back on my 40 mile loop, THE CRUISE CONTROL STARTED TO WORK.

Yep, works just fine now. No solder, no chasing wires, contacts or cleaners, just abuse those switches, and they will start to work. (I use cruise control nearly every day I drive the car, but it appears the last owner did not, or barely used it, and with it sitting as much as it has, the corrosion just built up on the switches.

Now to figure out the RNS D radio.. This thing has a mind of it's own, one moment saying there is a CD Changer, and showing the track info, the next saying there is no changer, while still playing music... (But I can't select a disk, only go forward or backward slowly, on the tracks.)

I'm thinking the RSN E is a much better setup?

Any advice? I know that I will most likely lose the nav feature on the gauges, but it should still show track and radio data right?

And I can hoook an iPod up to the RSN E with an adapter?