A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

D2 S8 Suspension Options?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2013, 02:41 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anybody know anything about this setup? http://www.sparktecmotorsports.com/bg-06-1-047.html
Old 03-01-2013, 03:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had B&G lowering springs on a Supra with Tokiko struts, and they worked well. Some bounce, but the lowering was fine, and they were not as low as some others out there, so ground clearance, and camber adjustment was maintained. (I set the camber adjustment in the rear at zero, to keep the tires flat as possible for traction, cornering was fine still, as the negative camber comes back in as the suspension is compressed more, as it would be in a corner.)

I have no desire to go any lower with my S8 however. It's fine as it is, the only upgrade or change I would suggest is urethane sway bar bushings, or thicker bars and urethane bushings. This car would benefit from more sway bar in the corners, especially a larger, or firmer setup for the rear suspension. (It would not push as easy, but it does raise the limit, and then when you do slide, it becomes harder to catch/control.)

Right now, just playing around on snow and ice, I found the limits to be lacking with the rear bar/bushings. Pushes way too easy. Also on loose dust/sand that's left over from the snow and Ice this winter, it will push very easy while the rear tires stay planted.

Safe, but not much fun to drive, and the ESP program is there to kick in rear brakes, and keep you in line anyway. (I noticed that saved my bacon a few times this past winter, it's very effective, but again, not much fun, so I'm glad you can turn it off pretty easy from the dash button when you want to play around, or drive the car without as much ESP babysitting.)

I think with the ESP doing it's thing, and a more neutral chassis setup, the S8 would handle much better than it does, while still being safe for most drivers. (And it does not suck now, so I'm talking just handling better than it does now, and it's no slouch.)

Last: Lowering springs often result in a bouncy ride, very little control in the real world, and that lower CG is worthless if your tires are not in contact with the road, or are at angles that compromise the contact patch. Sure, it looks cool, but in the real world, I'll take better handling over cool looks every day of the week.
The following users liked this post:
glenbjackson (03-21-2024)
Old 03-01-2013, 03:24 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Well, they're <$300, I'll probably buy a set and if they're too bouncy, I'll order some KW V2s.
Old 03-01-2013, 05:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by RyEnd
Well, they're <$300, I'll probably buy a set and if they're too bouncy, I'll order some KW V2s.
Well, in the real world, no spring makes a car more bouncy...Under-dampening does. ALL springs need a shock to match their rate & height.

For instance, when I put lowered "HOR" springs on a 16V Scirocco, I also put in Tokiko Illumina adjustable shocks. If I set the dampening at less than #3 (out of 5), the car would bounce....just under-dampened.

Improper shock rate causes bounce...not the springs.

Lowering a D2 will increase the negative camber, which is not adjustable with stock suspension...increase inner tire wear, BUT way improved cornering ability....at a price.
Old 03-01-2013, 05:57 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Are there any options for aftermarket shocks by themselves? I realize this is a fairly "outdated" platform. just asking I guess. I could always revalve some shocks, but then I might as well buy coilovers...
Old 03-02-2013, 08:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Not much out there for shocks for the S8-A8. Other than bilstien and factory it's custom other than coilovers.
As for springs they are all based on the A8 height so it would lower the car about another 5/8 of an inch over the S8 springs.
Plus I haven't been able to get spring rates from the factory or after market other than the coilovers.
Old 03-27-2013, 11:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by brad131a4
Not much out there for shocks for the S8-A8. Other than bilstien and factory it's custom other than coilovers.
As for springs they are all based on the A8 height so it would lower the car about another 5/8 of an inch over the S8 springs.
Plus I haven't been able to get spring rates from the factory or after market other than the coilovers.
does anyone know the difference between the pre-facelift and face lift bilstein shocks, why the change? the 97-99 bilsteins are 36mm and the 00+ are 46mm. is it just due to weight difference between the 32 valve and 40 valve engine?

my 97 a8 will be needing some shocks soon. i've got eibachs on it now and wondered if any advantage/disadvantage to going to the 46mm shock. ride is a little bouncy, but it was even before i put the eibachs on. the front shocks i can compress by hand but still expand (when dismounted from the car) so am thinking they are probably a bit tired.
Old 03-13-2024, 03:10 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by S8ilver
Yes all S8's had the same 'sport suspension.' If I were you I would call H&R and talk to a rep. I'd be interested if just the springs would do the trick. Seems though that you could lose some damping characteristics by keeping stock struts. However, I've read (on a BMW forum no less) that anything around 1-1.25" lowering should be fine if struts are in good shape, and it sounds that yours are. After the 1.25" lowering you'll be bouncing all over the place.

What's your mileage at?...I just broke 70k and would be thinking about new struts anyways, assuming mine are original.

If you were going for 2+ inches I would advise on shorter struts...and then you'd be looking at a full coilover system anyways.

Let me know what you find out...I too can't justify spending big $$ on an already great suspension when all I want is just a BIT lower ride height.
Ripping up an ooooooooold thread here but i just found out that not all S8's came with sport suspenssion, i just learned that mine that i recently bought was ordered with standard suspenssion from factory.
Old 03-21-2024, 09:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

well ive been thinking about this issue as well so ill share my thoughts to solve. theres alot of room up front easy to figure a upgrade there but in back i was thinking keep the spring in the stock location and leave it or cut some coils to lower it but also add a adjustable coilover where the shock is. slick way to have dual rate
Old 03-21-2024, 09:42 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Im just about to do that, just need to order some longer springs and modify the lower control arm.

Quick Reply: D2 S8 Suspension Options?