A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

D2 vs D3 ???

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 06:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default D2 vs D3 ???

As it turned out my d2 is currently parked in the garage like an old dog sleeping his life away, waiting for a new tranny. If i went with that, than it would be the car's third! I think she's asking for too much. So i figured that i'd ask the guys who know this car inside out.knowing that this is one of the most comfortable cars i've ever owned, and i do not want to back down.I have laid out a few options for myself. Need some advice.

Option 1: Buy the cheapest tranny i can find with at least 60 day warranty, sell it and buy another one with less miles(and maybe a calmer and older previous owner who took care of his car

Option 2: I found a rebuilt Tranny at one shop who is giving 6 months warrant and is costing only 1500(The story was that the shop previously went out of business and another family bought it and took over. And half the stuff that was left they have no clue at what the prices are.) Is it risky? (even with a warranty?)

Option 3: Bring the car as is to a dealer, trade-it-in and get a loan for a D3.(which i know nothing about the car) I have found a few that are 2004-2005 with 70,000 miles going around 18,000. And the strange thing is that most of them are around the 70,000 mile mark from 2004-2005. My guess was that the warranty ended on the cars the owners brought them back, traded them in and bought something else.

I would have liked to just get a rebuild but do not have the $3500 right now.

What do you guys think?
Old 03-23-2011, 09:32 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Pchelka01
As it turned out my d2 is currently parked in the garage like an old dog sleeping his life away, waiting for a new tranny. If i went with that, than it would be the car's third! I think she's asking for too much. So i figured that i'd ask the guys who know this car inside out.knowing that this is one of the most comfortable cars i've ever owned, and i do not want to back down.I have laid out a few options for myself. Need some advice.

Option 1: Buy the cheapest tranny i can find with at least 60 day warranty, sell it and buy another one with less miles(and maybe a calmer and older previous owner who took care of his car

Option 2: I found a rebuilt Tranny at one shop who is giving 6 months warrant and is costing only 1500(The story was that the shop previously went out of business and another family bought it and took over. And half the stuff that was left they have no clue at what the prices are.) Is it risky? (even with a warranty?)

Option 3: Bring the car as is to a dealer, trade-it-in and get a loan for a D3.(which i know nothing about the car) I have found a few that are 2004-2005 with 70,000 miles going around 18,000. And the strange thing is that most of them are around the 70,000 mile mark from 2004-2005. My guess was that the warranty ended on the cars the owners brought them back, traded them in and bought something else.

I would have liked to just get a rebuild but do not have the $3500 right now.

What do you guys think?
Option 1 seems a little unethical. And how do you know that the next D2 is not going to have a similar problem? It could have a transmission failure around the corner too. Anyways, if you go this route get an 02 or 03 A8/S8. I have an 03 S8 and it has been superb.

Option 3 is by far going to cost the most $$$$$. Are you ready for a big car payment? The D3 has it's fair share of problems too, and they are more complex to work on. Example, you need vag-com to replace the rear brakes. The parts for a rear brake job on the D3 is twice as much as on the D2. If I was going to choose this option, I would stay away from the 04 05 and get an 06, far fewer gremlins and headaches. The D3's interior is of less quality than the D2.

Option 2 seems most reasonable, you will know within days if the tranny is good or not. $1500, is that installed or are you going to R&R it yourself? If you are going to R&R it yourself I would consider getting a rebuilt unit from TozoM8, he has rebuilt countless of these and he knows these units better than anyone.

The D2's achilles heel is no doubt the transmission, the engine is bullet proof and the rest is doable DIY nuts and bolts projects.
Good luck!
Old 03-23-2011, 10:11 AM
Former Vendor

here is some great advice,, have to send the car or transmission sent to us here at level10 as we are the audi experts,, we can fix it right and you will no longer have a transmission issue!! And we will give you a 3 year 36,000 mile warranty too!!! call ric at 973-827-1000,,,, if you love your car,, this is the least expensive way to go,,,, you know this car and you dont want to get a used car as it may have the same issues,, and a new one will cost more on taxes then to fix this one,,, your car is like an old friend,, so fixing it up will be the best option , thess are great cars!!

Last edited by LEVEL10TRANSMISSION; 03-23-2011 at 10:15 AM.
Old 03-23-2011, 12:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Good god, its like a cliche'd pitch from a bad movie.
Old 03-23-2011, 02:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by LEVEL10TRANSMISSION
here is some great advice,, have to send the car or transmission sent to us here at level10 as we are the audi experts,, we can fix it right and you will no longer have a transmission issue!! And we will give you a 3 year 36,000 mile warranty too!!! call ric at 973-827-1000,,,, if you love your car,, this is the least expensive way to go,,,, you know this car and you dont want to get a used car as it may have the same issues,, and a new one will cost more on taxes then to fix this one,,, your car is like an old friend,, so fixing it up will be the best option , thess are great cars!!
Hey Ric, I know you're a paying sponsor here and we appreciate this...but as a business man (and from a potential customer's point of view), I'm a little put off by your pitch. You might want to proof read it next time or have someone else rewrite it for you...in English. I could never trust something as involved as a transmission rebuild to someone that I don't believe could read the repair manual.
Old 03-23-2011, 03:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Back on subject:

Pchelka01, in your case, I'd go with option #2. Get it in writing.
Old 03-24-2011, 02:56 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by silverd2
Hey Ric, I know you're a paying sponsor here and we appreciate this...but as a business man (and from a potential customer's point of view), I'm a little put off by your pitch. You might want to proof read it next time or have someone else rewrite it for you...in English. I could never trust something as involved as a transmission rebuild to someone that I don't believe could read the repair manual.
SIR, I WILL TRY TO BE NICE TO YOU,,AS YOUR ATTACK ON ME IS UNCALLED FOR FOR JUST A TYPO. MY ADVICE WAS TO HELP YOU, BUT FEEL FREE TO GO TO A DEALER AND HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM PARTS PUT IN YOUR CAR. GOOD LUCK
Old 03-24-2011, 03:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by LEVEL10TRANSMISSION
SIR, I WILL TRY TO BE NICE TO YOU,,AS YOUR ATTACK ON ME IS UNCALLED FOR FOR JUST A TYPO. MY ADVICE WAS TO HELP YOU, BUT FEEL FREE TO GO TO A DEALER AND HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM PARTS PUT IN YOUR CAR. GOOD LUCK
I have never attacked (and would not) an individual poster or actual "contributor" because of their grammar...and mine would also be subject to correction. But I (and others?) hold advertisers to a different level of scrutiny. In this case, you're business is not contributing any useful information to the forum...it's just seizing an opportunity to make a pitch (sad as it was) for business.
As I stated, we all appreciate those who sponsor this forum and I apologize for what appeared to be a personal attack. I should have addressed my comment to Level10, rather than to an individual.

I have no obligation to address this, but in appreciation of your sponsorship, would like to offer a serious bit of advice: Run your advertising text through a grammar checking program, like MS Works Word Processing. It will properly structure sentences and find words spelled correctly, but misplaced in usage (post and website). People really notice these things and it leaves a lasting impression in their minds...not just my opinion..."Marketing 101".
Looking over your website inspired me to make this suggestion. Running it through MS Works would explain that comment. The original "post" in question would not have received a passing grade...it's not even the same language I speak....and your website would have multiple red marks placed by any elementary school English teacher.

I'm sure that I would receive at least a "needs improvement" comment, as this and my past posts are not run through "grammar check". I usually use spell check, in an attempt to maintain a "coherent" message.....BUT, I am not here for the same reason as an advertiser.

So for all it's worth....

Cheers