A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

D3 S8: An oppotunity to lead the category lost?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2005, 09:27 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default D3 S8: An oppotunity to lead the category lost?

Reading the specs of the new MB S500

Engine: v8, 5461cc, 4ohc 32v
Power: 388bhp @ 6000rpm
Torque: 391lb ft @ 2800-4800rpm
0-60mph 5.4sec
Price: GBP 71,000 approx

it's obvious that the new S8 would, again, be left in the dust when the AMG versions (S55) would come out. I know, different philosophies between the S8 and the AMG S55, but when the new S8 with its V10 and 450bhp has pretty much the same 0-60mph with the 'standard' S500--and the S500 sounds like it would top the A8/S8 in terms of ride quietness and suppleness, luxury and comfort, let alone a long list of technological innovations--I can't avoid feeling that S8 has, again, lost the opportunity to take the lead. In this uber sports-luxury, Q-car doesn't quite cut it.

If AUDI is asking big $ premiums for their top-of-line vehicles (arguably, uncharted pricing territory for AUDI), they'd better be able to justify the price, as they do with the RS4 over the M3, where the RS4 is unquestionably the better car.
Old 10-30-2005, 01:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I agree, but all I can say is that numbers aren't everything.

There are those people out there that buy a certain car to know that it's the fastest or to tell people it's the fastest. Fortunately, most of those people don't buy Audis. How many times have Audis won magazine comparisons with the slowest or far from the fastest 0-60 times? Both the RS6 and B6 S4 did that against faster rivals from MBZ and BMW. Obviously 0-60 times play a part in a comparison, but there is so much more. Power seems to be important to Audi, but not nearly as important as it is to AMG. We will never win the power wars with them so we probably shouldn't try. At least there are no AMG or M AWD sedans and that puts us in a class by ourselves in my opinion.
Old 10-30-2005, 05:31 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default True, but new traction-control systems by Porsche and MB are virtually..

identical to AWD for inclement weather conditions.

The main thing is that...big AUDIs have never sold well. The D3 A8 is the first one that has gotten rave reviews--and deserves them--but keep in mind that at its peak the current S-class outsold the A8, 7-series, Jag XJ, Phaeton and Quattroporte put together..

For AUDI to differentiate itself at the top end it has to provide a level of overall refinement and effortless performance that goes beyond just the engine HP/torque numbers. I'm not suggesting going down the AMG path of HP (and even more torque) obsession...just 'cause they can. What I'm saying is that the new S-Class coming out earlier than the D3 S8 is already giving it a tough competition. Performance #s are similar, while technologically the new S-Class seems to be, again, redefining the category (which based on the sales #s above clearly indicate that MB can't afford to mess the S-Class). Even in terms of driving dynamics, the new S-Class has gotten rave reviews, including MB's airmatic DC suspension with its active dampers that journos claim is performing better than the Jag XJ and A8 ones--quieter and cleverer.

I guess I'll need to wait for the true road test of the D3 S8, but I'm feeling that AUDI could have truly curved a niche all of their own--a great engine, on a great chassis, with permanent AWD, that's also leading in lightness (more carbonfibre) and high-speed stability (diffuser).

Looking at the new S-Class specs, and reading the great reviews of it by CAR/EVO/Top Gear, some of the excitement of the D3 S8 has been subdued in me. Maybe I'm just getting older :-)
Old 10-30-2005, 11:27 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default totally disagree

if you think that a tc system is a substitute for awd, then i would assume that you've not driven one.

tc takes power away from your car wheras awd doesn't. try going up a slippery drive in your s500 and you'll get stuck because the tc will tell the engine to give you no power. you go nowhere. do that in an audi quattro, and you'll get up the drive.
Old 10-31-2005, 03:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Weather conditions when a Carrera S is running rings around a plain 911 S..

(997) are not that many. Yes, AWD is ALWAYS giving you more overall traction than the smartest traction control system (more tires are better than fewer). Yes, for those few, yet important, moments when I'm powering out of a slippery bent (uphill or downhill), I'd rather have AWD. However, a heavy car with AWD is not necessarily faster than a nimbler RWD with an excellent suspension geometry and a smart traction system.

In any case, my main point for the S500--rather bringing it up to compare to the D3 S8--was not to debate AWD vs. RWD. I'd take AWD anytime over RWD--hence why I buy AUDIs.

My point was whether the D3 S8 is really heads-and-shoulder above a 'standard' sports-luxury barge like the S500. From what I've read, it might not be.
Old 10-31-2005, 06:47 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default They Make 4matic Benz's even in the S500 same price even.....now lets talk S600 vs S8

they make those in 4matic as well.