A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Damn I'm angry

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2003, 09:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Damn I'm angry

Just did the fluid check on my trans. Before I went to vienna I let the dealer change my trans filter and oil. On the bill the gave my is noted that they used 3 liters of transfluid. I did ask about it if that was enough. Now just yesterday, about 6000 km after the change, I started to notic things on the trans that would appear to be not enough fluid in the trans. I was this morning with the dealer and he took a look at it and found that only some rubber on the engine fill was leaking a bit. This evening I did the trans fluid level check accoording to the manual. I had to put in 2 liters, Because I was at home I could not perform the 2 to 5 second gear schift and than check again. Just filled with engine running at idle till some fluid dripped out of the filling hole. I'm gonna go firt thing tomorrow to the dealer and confront him with it. Have you guys any idea what kind of damage I may have gotten by running about 6000 km with not enough trans fluid?
I drove a litle round when I did the filling myself and found that the trans was shifting like it is supposed to be.
Need some advice how to approach the dealer with this fact.

greetings fro amsterdam,
Archy
Old 10-02-2003, 09:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Default I don't blame you for being angry- the dealer that did the work is incompetent!!!

Filling the fluid with the engine off would result in the level you witnessed. The fact that you questioned the 3 liters will likely be conveniently "forgotten" by the dealer, and the fact that the tranny seems to be OK now will let them off the hook unless you get them to sign up to fixing any tranny problems in the next 100K kilometers or so. Just because the tranny seems to be working properly now doesn't mean that significant damage hasn't occurred due to their negligence. And I mean NEGLIGENCE!!! Failing to follow the very explicit and obvious instructions on refilling the A8 transmission by a supposedly trained and certified technician is criminal. I wouldn't settle for anything less than a guarantee of your transmission for an additional significant amount of mileage.

When you first posted about the 3 liter refill, we warned you that that was wrong. Unfortunately it seems we were correct. Now to go fight the stealer and get them to make it right- what a pain!
Old 10-02-2003, 10:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just remember to keep all the correspondence from AW and all other sources for future ref.
Old 10-02-2003, 11:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: Damn I'm angry

greenie, attorney at law, with practices limited to Phila., Amsterdam and Vienna. Show `em this card!

greenie

04 A8L silver/saber
Old 10-02-2003, 11:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Call AoA NOW! Tell them look at my previous post earlier in the week!

My tranny is starting to act really funny since they left me 3 qts day...
Old 10-02-2003, 12:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

How many liters/quarts of fluid does it take for a complete refill with filter change too?
Old 10-02-2003, 01:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Tranny drain with filter change (pull the pan) should use 6.5 to 7.5 liters of fluid.
Old 10-02-2003, 02:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: Damn I'm angry

Question, how many liters does it take to fill a 7.5 liter resevoir???????

greenie

04 A8L silver/saber
Old 10-02-2003, 02:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: Call AoA NOW! Tell them look at my previous post earlier in the week!

Yea, but Audi didnt force you to actually DRIVE the car!!! LOL

greenie

04 A8L silver/saber
Old 10-02-2003, 02:47 PM
Elder Member

Default Unfortunately ....

The Bentley gives a 9.8 liter initial fill capacity, but says that 3.5 to 4 liter is required for a fluid change after tranny repair or pan removal.

This is just another example of one of the many errors in the Bentley, and it's no excuse. After all, the same page says the ATF is a lifetime fluid.

Quick Reply: Damn I'm angry