A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dash switch comments

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2003, 02:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dash switch comments

Replaced my faulty defroster switch and noticed that, even with the central HVAC removed and radio removed there is no stinking way you have room to compress the 2 spring clips simultaneously so as to remove the switch. I check the new switch fixed the problem, it did, and than broke the old switch to remove. I figure Audi must have a rectangular thin metal sleeve which will fit from the back of the unplugged switch, slip on, and compress the clips. I made such a sleeve with grip tabs from thin gauge sheet metal and I'll be damned if it did not work ! Other ideas...I used 2 (3mm)allen keys held in Channel-lock pliers to pull the HVAC vent after the ProFit hooks slipped a few times scratching the plastic...worked eminently easier.

Also found a guy who sells the DIN radio removal tools for $9.95(including S/H) since I didn't feel like paying ProFit $12+ dollars to ship their $6.95 (2 oz) tools.

After busting a hump for just a switch, my appetite for the timing belt change is diminished. Can anyone who has changed the belt with the radiator in place comment ? Paul's idea to remove the front end is nice but it looks like the A/C condensor lines throw a monkey wrench into the equation or am I befuddled ?

Cheers,

Craig
Old 11-17-2003, 02:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts
Default Done it both ways

Removing the front end method is significantly easier! Doing it with it in place is really, really hard! You'll bust a lot of knuckles too.

Removing the front end is really easy. Shouldn't take you more than about an hour total.

Heck, I can park my car, put it up on jackstands, remove the belly pan, remove the front end, remove the timing belt cover....all in 45 minutes!

Now, I've had some practice and I don't think you need this practice! I just got screwed on my "hot engine block" timing belt change.

I would do the TB over a Saturday/Sunday, you should have no problem doing it in about 12 hours total, do the oil cooler too!

So you finally changed the switch by removing the center vent? Or did you do it through the radio? I don't get what isn't right now.

pw
Old 11-17-2003, 04:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Done it both ways

Paul:

Is the radiator removed with the "front end" method..if so how do you prevent undoing the A/C lines ? or does the assembley just drop down out of the way ? I agree, I see no way that it would be easy with the radiator right there. What I need to do is read your description more closely on audipages.com.

As far as the dash defroster switch, I removed the radio first which gave little or no access to the switches above it since there is a plastic separating panel with small perforations which do not afford any room to reach the switch. I then removed the center vent which allows you to see the switches and unplug them but nothing as far as compressing the upper/lower spring clips together so the switch can pop out. I gently "ate" off the front of the defective switch so I could remove it from the front. As I posted just before, there must be an "Audi" tool which slips over the back of the switches to compress the clips...the bottom clips are just 2-3mm max from the bottom panel. The thin metal sleeve I made is a open ended rectangle, just a bit bigger than the switch dimensions, about 2" long which just slips over the back of the switch and when shoved forward simultaneously compresses those spring clips so the switch can pop forward through the dash opening. BTW, my 3mm allen key in Channel-locks really gave me something to pull on re: center vent removal...much easier than the ProFit hooks/picks.

I think once I read and re-read the timing belt procedure and ordered my Bentley CD, I'll give it a try but sure would be nice to have the company of someone who was there before.

Craig
Old 11-17-2003, 04:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts
Default The AC lines stay in place

You just remove the radiator hoses from the engine, electrical connectors (about 5 or 6), the right side headlight (very easy) and unbolt it at the shock absorbers for the bumper. Really easy.

Lay it ontop of something like a creeper, and you leave the AC hoses and ATF cooler lines in place, they are on the front left. The procedure is in the Bently too, but the one on audipages is much more detailed and leaves little to the imagination.

I found that once I got the vent out, the switches just pushed forward and out as I recall.

pw
Old 11-17-2003, 04:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Make sure you have a creeper (or something just as high) on STAND-BY. Unless...

...you have somebody to help you. As I remember it, you can't let it all hang by itself while you go get something to put it on. Oooh, and don't forget the cat litter for all the fluid that will keep trickling out.
Old 11-17-2003, 05:26 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kitty litter is A Good Thing<sup>TM</sup>. ;-)
Old 11-17-2003, 06:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: The AC lines stay in place

..the only switches that came out easily on mine were the dummy switches...
Old 11-17-2003, 10:00 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default remove the trim panel

and that will give you direct access to the switches. using a soft edged tool makes this job a piece of ****...